Council considers development

Developers around The Streets at SouthPoint mall will have to wait a little longer to find out their fate after the City Council postponed a zoning vote Monday night.

The area around I-40 and N.C. 54 is currently rural, but developers began eyeing the land in recent years as the new mall was constructed. Council members heard competing arguments on the future of the land--including from many local residents who attended Monday's meeting--but eventually decided to wait for another public hearing.

Some council members want to develop the area further, in part to bring more jobs to Durham, while others want to preserve the residential feel of the area.

In his presentation to the council, Frank Duke, a planning director for Durham city and county governments, recommended against further commercialization of the area. He told council members that potential traffic problems should limit the area to a medium-density residential zone.

Ellison Heights resident Helen Ellison, whose family established the neighborhood 58 years ago, said she opposes making the area a commercial zone because she said it would adversely affect her community. "My family enjoys providing a better quality of life," she said. "Ellison Heights is a quiet, peaceful and safe neighborhood, and I hope it can be saved from commercialization."

Council member Howard Clement proposed an alternate plan that would zone only 13 acres for commercial use, but the proposal failed 4-3.

The council also discussed a proposal requiring certain city department heads and high ranking officials to live within Durham city limits. Council members Lewis Cheek and John Best expressed concern over the legality of the amendment. Mayor Bill Bell said such a rule would ensure that employees feel invested in the community.

"People need to live the experience if they are part of deciding what happens here," Bell said. "I don't know why someone involved with Durham wouldn't want to live within city limits anyway."

Council member Tamra Edwards expressed concern over existing employees and the grandfather clause in the amendment. The clause states that employees currently living outside city limits who are being considered for promotion cannot be penalized for not living in Durham. City Attorney Henry Blinder said the wording of the clause had been "narrowly crafted" and was defensible in court. Although they said they agreed with the philosophy of the amendment, council members voted it down because of wording concerns, they said.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: Council members approved a Durham Youth Commission to connect students from public high schools to city officials.

Members approved the auditing of organizations that receive more than $30,000 in city money.

Bell announced that the week of Sept. 23 will be Durham Equality Week.

Clement went on the record congratulating the Durham Bulls on their national triple-A baseball championship.

Share and discuss “Council considers development” on social media.