Community and Brotherhood

Co-ed, non-selective, non-residential, service-oriented--these words usually don't invoke the image of a fraternity.

But the description embodies Alpha Phi Omega, a nationwide community service fraternity that boasts one of its largest chapters at Duke.

The fraternity participates in projects such as Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Triangle Residential Options for Substance Abusers, Boy and Girl Scouts of America and Genesis Home.

Although APO is non-residential and not part of a greek umbrella organization, it is similar to other greek organizations because of its weekly meetings, social events and members' pride in the cultivation of brotherhood, senior member Matt Siedsma wrote in an e-mail.

"But you're not going to see us throwing any huge parties any time soon... at least not public ones," he added.

The fraternity began its annual rush process three weeks ago, long before more traditional fraternities and sororities on campus are allowed to recruit. APO is a non-selective fraternity, but it does require its rushees to attend two service projects and a social event before they are invited to join.

"We pride ourselves on being non-selective. There's no reason to turn away anybody who wants to do community service," Siedsma wrote. "It would just defeat the entire purpose of the organization."

Sravan Kakani, a sophomore, said he has enjoyed the bonding experiences with members of the fraternity as well as of the community. But he said people join APO simply because they are "driven to do community service."

After the rush process, pledges must complete 24 hours of service over the fall semester. This includes participation in a pledge project and pledge retreat, which many members said was a highlight of the APO experience.

"It gave me the opportunity to interact with the brotherhood as a whole," said sophomore Ashraf Hossain of last year's pledge retreat in Wilmington, N.C.

APO president Sarah Kaneko, a senior, also said the retreat was one of her best memories, and something to get away from day-to-day academic rigors. "I've gotten to know a lot of people on and off campus," she said. "[It has been] a great outlet."

APO was first established at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania in 1925; Duke started its Lambda Nu chapter in 1955. The Duke chapter dissolved in 1978, but reformed in 1980.

Not all members who join APO have done a great deal of community service in the past. "Some were president of this and that in high school... and others are just [getting] interested," Kaneko said.

Kaneko and other members said they have found their own special projects, and they usually stick with them throughout their time at the University. Since she rushed as a sophomore, Kaneko has participated in an after-school mentoring program every Monday.

"Kids will run up and just grab your leg," she said. "Getting them interested in extra-curricular reading, knowing you've made a difference to that kid, it's really rewarding."

Siedsma, who has tutored young children at a housing shelter in Durham since his freshman year, said the rewards go both ways.

"When I started out as one of the countless pre-meds, I thought that I wanted to go into emergency medicine or surgery," he said. Since working at Genesis Home, however, he has decided that he wants to pursue a pediatric specialty.

Siedsma recalled an incident when he was saying good-bye to a child he had been working with for a few weeks. The child began to cry when he was told he would not see Siedsma the next week because it was Thanksgiving.

"He [asked] me why I didn't want to come and tutor him anymore," said Siedsma. "That really surprised me. I didn't think that coming once a week for an hour and a half would really have such an impact on these kids' lives, but it did."

Share and discuss “Community and Brotherhood” on social media.