Move-in changes bring more efficiency, confusion

Pictures from freshman move-in 2002.

Although they were not filled with the same degree of excitement and apprehension as their freshman counterparts, upperclass students this week experienced all the same successes and frustrations of fall semester move-in.

The University revamped operations this year for West Campus move-in, but many students said logistical problems--especially in parking--still persisted.

For the first time, students were able to pick up their parking passes and keys in the Intramural Building near the Blue Zone. Key pickups were organized by quadrangle, and resident advisers and the eight new residence coordinators were on-hand to help facilitate distribution.

"Things have been going great in here," said Assistant Dean of Student Development Deb LoBiondo, who oversaw the IM operations. "It's all been running smoothly."

Students agreed that the new distribution worked better than in past years, when students had to check-in at service offices around campus. Some, however, were confused about the hours of operations, especially Wednesday.

Although his roommate had already arrived and he was able to move in to his room, sophomore Anthony Resnick arrived at about noon Wednesday to pick up his key and found the IM building empty.

"It's really getting the school year off on the wrong foot," Resnick said. "I can't get into my dorm without my roommate's key."

Students were expected to go to service offices Wednesday to pick up their keys, as the RCs and RAs were busy moving freshmen in on East Campus. Resnick and others said the University never informed them of this, and no signs were posted at the IM building with such an explanation.

The parking situation drew more complaints. Residents were given passes to park for 45 minutes in lots and fire lanes near their dorms. Many upperclassmen reported, however, that the time allotted was too short, and cars were frequently towed. Statistics on the number of cars towed were not available.

Students in Wannamaker Quadrangle also complained that their fire lane was not open.

"I've gotten a lot of complaints from my residents," said junior Laura Kendall, an RA in Wannamaker 3. "They had to park way out by the gym and carry all their stuff to campus. I guess they could park in the fire lane last year."

Alpha Tau Omega fraternity member Derek Blass, a senior, agreed that move-in was worse than last year because of the closed fire lane.

"I had to park in the Beta lot, and there was a lot of trekking across the quad," the Craven Quadrangle resident said.

Some students, however, reported no problems, and praised the courtesy van that brought students and their belongings from the Blue Zone to drop-off points around West Campus, as well as those employees who directed students where to park.

"The tow people were real nice," said junior Sukhi Walha, a Kilgo Quadrangle resident. "They said, 'I'll give you ten minutes, then I'll tow you.'"

Dave Ingram contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Move-in changes bring more efficiency, confusion” on social media.