The Good Girl's helping hands

Jennifer Aniston couldn't have done it alone. Sure, Mrs. Pitt's performance in The Good Girl won rave reviews, a Sundance standing ovation and the cover of August Vogue. But could the girl have been so good without a little help? I doubt it. That's why it's imperative to recognize the film's excellent supporting cast full of potential breakout stars.

Deserving first mention is the man behind the woman, Jake Gyllenhall. As Holden, Jen's misanthropic mister, he brings just the right mix of mischief and angst to the part, making his screen time both hilarious and sad. Gyllenhall is so exciting, he even allows the audience to overlook the constant Catcher in the Rye refereces polluting both his character name and the film in general.

Also praiseworthy is Zooey Deschanel, who actually is named after a J.D. Salinger character from Franny and Zooey. As the drugstore makeup artist Cheryl, she finds perverse pleasure in making her customers look as bad as possible. Seschanel had a small part in the indie darling Mumford and played William's rebellious older sister in the Cameron Crowe classic Almost Famous. She's equally great, and equally underused, in this film.

To be fair, Jennifer Aniston did deliver a terrific performance. It's just hard to suspend reality and believe that this is a woman who hates her life, especially since the girl is married to Brad-freakin'-Pitt. It's certainly easier to believe the new kids, especially since they deliver the goods on screen. Go see The Good Girl and keep an eye out for Jake and Zooey. It's possible that it won't be long before they become... well, the next Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston.

Share and discuss “The Good Girl's helping hands” on social media.