Four women's golfers participate in U.S. Open

Fresh off its second national championship in four seasons, the women's golf team had two of its current members as well as two alumni compete in the 2002 U.S. Women's Open at the Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan.

The two members of the 2002 title team, juniors Leigh Anne Hardin and Virada Nirapathpongporn, both failed to make the final cut. Hardin shot a 78 both days, finishing at 16-over-par and tied for 116th place. Nirapathpongporn--who recently won the 2002 Honda Award for top Division I collegiate athlete in her sport--faired only slightly better, shooting rounds of 75 and 78 to finish 13-over and tied for 93rd.

On the flip side, alumni Jean Bartholomew and Beth Bauer were both playing when the weekend arrived. In the end, Bauer shot a plus-9 for the tournament landing her in a tie for 18th place and Bartholomew shot a 13-over good for a tie for 44th.

In other women's golf news, Blue Devils coach Dan Brooks was honored as Division I coach of the year. It is the third time in four years that he has won that award.

Three men's lacrosse players help U.S. to ILF World Title

Three players with Duke ties, as well as head coach Mike Pressler, helped the United States rally from a two-goal deficit at halftime to win America's sixth consecutive International Lacrosse Federation World Championship held this year in Perth, Australia.

Scott Bross, who graduated in 2001, scored one goal in the title game, while senior Kevin Cassese tossed in an assist. Tim Knowles (Trinity '99) also played on the team, while Pressler served as an assistant.

Entering the fourth quarter deadlocked at 13, America used a four-goal blitz to beat Canada, 18-15.

Associate Director of Athletics named

Mitch Moser, a former business manager in the athletic ticketing department, was named associate director of athletics earlier this month.

He will now have the responsibility of handling the financial operations of the athletic department, the department of Physcial Education and the Duke Golf Course. Moser will also work on implementing a communications information system as well as overseeing game operations.

A 1985 graduate of Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn., with a degree in Business Administration and Communications, Moser came to Duke from Rice in 1997. He served as ticket manger for two years, before becoming that department's business manager.

Burton joins Rowing staff

After serving as an novice coach during the 2001-2002 season, Erin Burton will join the rowing program's full-time staff.

Burton, who has worked with the program the past two seasons while completing her degree in civil engineering, will coach freshman walk-ons and recruits, while also assisting with the recruiting process next season.

During her undergraduate years at the University, she was a four-year letterwinner and her novice crews posted no lower than second during the spring season.

"Erin's work ethic and commitment to the program are going to be a tremendous resource for our staff," coach Robyn Horner said. "She has an incredible grasp on what it takes to be part of our program, both as an athlete and as a coach."

Volleyball adds Dipert

The volleyball team added Courtney Dipert, who served as an assistant coach at Florida State last season, as the team's second assistant coach.

Dipert joins the Blue Devil staff from her alma mater in Tallahassee where she player for four years before serving as a volunteer assistant in 2000. During her playing days she helped guide FSU to two NCAA tournament appearances and the ACC title in 1998. She has also coached club volleyball and worked at high school and collegiate camps in the states of Florida and Illinois.

"We are delighted to have Courtney join our volleyball staff at Duke," coach Jolene Nagel said. "As a former player and coach in the league she brings us additional knowledge about the league as well as a different perspective."

Foster leaves for Dartmouth

Recent graduate and All-American women's lacrosse goaltender, Kristen Foster, will leave Duke to join the Dartmouth women's lacrosse staff as an assistant coach.

During her career, Foster collected many accolades including leading the Blue Devils to the 1999 final four. She has also served as a member of the U.S. developmental squad, as well as working in camps at Dartmouth, Duke, Maryland and Stanford.

Foster will replace Big Green assistant Randi Borgen and join the staff of head coach Amy Patton, who is entering her 11th season as head coach.

Share and discuss “Four women's golfers participate in U.S. Open” on social media.