Exorcising your inner Abercrombie

Memo to fashion-forward freshmen: Fear not.

You may have noticed the proliferation of Herve totes while on your campus tour. You could have counted the pairs of BCBG bitch pants strutting into Alpine Bagels. Maybe you even wondered if New Balance gave us a Duke student discount. And while it's true that the cute, classy style is cloned all over campus, there is so much more to Duke's style. You just have to find it.

Yes, you will see all things Abercrombie. Yes, enough black pants exist at Duke to clothe a large army of Italian waiters. And the runways have been little help this summer, selling everything from grunge revival to gypsy chic. What is a Duke girl to do?

This fall, more than ever, fashion is taking a backseat to style--your style. Forget what the runways are showing (too conceptual), the magazines are glossing (too trendy), and the celebs are wearing (too expensive). When your feet hit Duke soil in August, it doesn't matter if they're buckled up in Manolos or Maddens. Just make sure your feet can take you wherever you want to go.

Style is all about what makes you spark. But until you find your own way, here are some places at Duke that might be able to give you a light....

Intro to Film Class -- Taught by the unsinkable Jane Gaines, Intro to Film is a right of passage for most humanities majors. It's also the place to get inspired, with films like La Jettee, Double Indemnity, Red Sorghum and Run Lola Run feeding students a visual feast of color and style.

Pickens Health Center -- The wonderful nurses at Duke Hospital have comfort dressing down--just walking through the halls will make you want to pair loose pajama pants with a halter top and float your way to morning classes.

The Costume Shop -- Located in the Bryan Center, the costume shop makes and mends all the pieces for Duke's theatre program. Under the direction of designer and textile artist Kay Webb, the shop is a great place for wannabe designers to learn the ropes.

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro -- This concert venue has hosted everyone from Beck and Dar Williams to The Strokes and Jump Little Children. Whether you want to look like a rock star or a groupie, there's always style to be scoped at this storied local club.

The Recess office -- Okay, it's a shameless plug. But if you come up, we'll let you write a Trends article....

Share and discuss “Exorcising your inner Abercrombie” on social media.