Duke and Title IX

1971-1972: For the first time, Duke provides a small travel budget for its women's athletic programs and fields seven women's teams.

June 23, 1972: President Richard Nixon, Law '37, signs the Title IX bill into law.

May 20, 1974: Senator John Tower proposes an amendment to exclude revenue-producing sports from Title IX compliance. The amendment fails.

May 27, 1975: President Gerald Ford signs the Title IX athletics regulations.

Dec. 11, 1979: A three-pronged test to assess compliance with Title IX is issued.

Feb. 28, 1984: A Supreme Court ruling limits the range of Title IX to scholarships and declares it only applies to programs receiving federal funds.

March 22, 1988: After being vetoed by President Ronald Reagan, the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 becomes law, essentially reversing the Supreme Court's decision.

Feb. 22, 1994: The women's lacrosse team petitions for varsity status. In 1996 they begin their first season.

June 24, 1998: Robyn Horner named Duke's first rowing coach. The women's rowing program was elevated to varsity status to comply with Title IX.

Oct. 26, 2000: The University files post-trial motions in Mercer v. Duke. Place-kicker Heather Sue Mercer won a $2 million suit claiming she was discriminated against by being allowed to walk-on the football team but not dress.

Oct. 15, 2001: Duke's Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act report is released to the public and shows that women's athletic financial aid is up 13 percent from 1996. This brings the number to 40 percent and moves the athletic program towards its required proportional goal of 47 percent.

Share and discuss “Duke and Title IX” on social media.