Recent letters present one-sided marijuana analysis

In recent days, there have been letters to the editor printed in The Chronicle that discuss the effects of marijuana. We think that these letters have created an unrealistic image of marijuana because the letters only discuss possible effects of heavy, long-term use.

We have read a book called Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts by Lynn Zimmer and John Morgan that catalogues scientific evidence regarding the effects of marijuana. After reading their book, two things are clear: 1) heavy long-term use may have some negative effects and 2) occasional recreational use is relatively safe.

The one main problem with long-term use seems to be on the lungs due to the fact that "researchers have found pre-cancerous changes in cells taken from the lungs of heavy marijuana smokers," so "the possibility of lung cancer from marijuana cannot be ruled out." We label this as the main problem associated with long-term use because these pre-cancerous cells came from human marijuana smokers while "infertility, brain damage, immune impairment and physical addiction" have only been found in animals and never in humans.

However, there don't appear to be any problems with moderate use. In 1893 the Indian Hemp commission concluded that "the moderate use of hemp drugs is practically attended by no evil results at all." In 1969, the British Wooten report confirmed these findings and reported that "long-term consumption of cannabis in moderate doses has no harmful effect." After reading Zimmer and Morgan's book, the facts still hold--the occasional recreational use of marijuana is relatively harmless.

Luke Fedoroff

Trinity '03

Chandra Jacobs

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “Recent letters present one-sided marijuana analysis” on social media.