Officials hope to boost interaction

As the new residential plan takes form, officials are working to create a program that would foster greater community interaction, linking undergraduates to faculty and graduate and professional students outside the classroom.

The idea sprung from a desire to foster more interaction and information sharing between premedical undergraduates and members of the School of Medicine, but was recently expanded to include other disciplines.

"Duke is a place with incredible opportunities and amazing people, and sometimes not much interaction between them," said Bill Wood, president of the medical school's student government, the Davison Council. "With this program, we are hoping to build a sense of community here on campus."

Wood added that the program hopes to go beyond advising by addressing broader community issues like race relations and eating disorders. Organizers hope to promote discussion through methods such as informal dinners, coffee and dessert outings and faculty forums.

Graduate and Professional Student Council President Elayne Heisler said a committee of administrators and students are planning the project.

"The group will work with Student Affairs, the residential community and the [residential coordinators] to meet undergraduate student interest," she said, adding that the group is currently working to promote interests through flyering and announcements.

Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs, said the new quadrangle system will help foster the program. With the opening of the West-Edens Link dormitory in the fall and the renovation of Main West Campus dorms over the next several years, Wasiolek said Duke will free up the space conducive to this type of interaction. She also said residential coordinators are responsible for working with undergraduates to support and implement programs such as this one.

Share and discuss “Officials hope to boost interaction” on social media.