Hunter Gray: You See Me Laughin'

Hunter Gray, Trinity O98, is a producer for Plantain Films. You See Me Laughin' is about dirty blues musicians in the deep south--their culture, their history and mostly their one-of-a-kind music. Previously, Gray produced another music-realted documentary, The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack.

Q: What about the film You See Me Laughin' made you want to produce it?

A: We first were approached by the director, who had samples of the music, then we saw some footage, and we realized the historical importance of this group of musicians. We wanted to get this group of musicians recognized and thought it would make for a very interesting film.

Q: When you are looking at films and making production decisions, what factors are you generally looking for?

A: Basically our goal is just to make interesting films that can make enough money to sustain the operation. That we've done two documentaries in a row doesn't mean that's what we're doing. We'd like to make dramatic features, but we saw both of these documentaries as films that needed to be made.

Q: How did you get involved in the business?

A: My business partner founded Plantain films while I was still at Duke. He is a long-time friend. He told me he was going to be a director and I told him I was going to produce his films. Three years ago he called me up.

Q: Do you have any advice for students who are currently looking to get into documentary filmmaking or producing?

A: For Duke students in particular--there wasn't much more than a certificate when I was there. I didn't take any of those classes. It really depends on what aspect you are looking at. If you want to be on the creative side, then it helps to do graduate work. Otherwise, the best thing to do is get on set--do lighting or sound and see if it is something you want to get into.

Q: Do you wish you had taken the classes?

A: It definitely would have helped me, but I don't think it's really necessary. I'd be more familiar with what's going on, but I'm still learning.

Share and discuss “Hunter Gray: You See Me Laughin'” on social media.