Taking a Trip to the Tyndall Galleries

f your idea of appreciating modern art consists of glancing at the colorful graffiti scrawls on the bridge as you whiz past on the East-West bus, you need to get out more. Lucky for you, there's a place to go. Widely considered the best gallery in the Triangle, Tyndall Galleries in Brightleaf Square is home to works by both seasoned artists and rising stars in the artistic community.

For the past 11 years, owner Jane Tyndall has brought pieces by contemporary artists from North Carolina and the rest of the Southeast to her gallery. The collection includes everything from oil paintings and photography to ceramics and sculpture, and is constantly changing, with nine exhibitions organized throughout the year.

The pieces at Tyndall Galleries--drawing from styles as diverse as impressionist painting and raku pottery--are united by their almost universal use of unapologetically bold colors. Brilliant hues of blue, orange and purple echo throughout the gallery in works by artists like Elizabeth Marin, Betty Clark and Jane Filer, as well as Durham residents Steven Silverleaf and Elizabeth Kunreuther. If you're looking to give a gift of art, the prices are displayed on every piece, ranging from $60 for wire sculptures to over $2,000 for some of the larger paintings.

The gallery also holds periodic exhibition previews and artist receptions that are open to the public. Stop by this Saturday evening between 7pm and 9pm for a reception with Marin, whose new paintings will be on display through March 30.

If you like a little music with your art, jazz musicians Ghezzi and Scott Sawyer will be performing live at the event. Tyndall Galleries is just a short walk from East Campus, so take a trip down to Brightleaf Square and check out this artistic haven in our midst.

Share and discuss “Taking a Trip to the Tyndall Galleries” on social media.