ARAMARK trains employees in customer service

As part of ARAMARK's ongoing efforts to improve dining services, many dining employees are being trained in customer service.

The training aims to improve employee communication with customers so that employees can understand what diners want and take steps to increase quality. This spring marks the one year anniversary of the University's decision to bring ARAMARK to campus, a decision that the dining employees' union approved of only with the promise of such training.

"We want to make sure [employees] are getting the tools to help them grow," said David Randolph, ARAMARK's resident district manager.

The training includes learning food ingredients so servers can better respond to customer questions, and managers also hope employees will be able to guide customers who are uncertain about what they want.

"We want good service, but also expedient service," said Steve Lewis, general manager of the Great Hall.

He added that some employees have learned students' names, with the intention of creating an atmosphere that encourages students to choose the Great Hall over other on-campus eateries. "We want students to pick the Great Hall," Lewis said.

Even without the training, many employees noted that customer service is an integral part of their jobs.

"I've been cooking for 22 years and know the business is based on hospitality.... To please is what drives me," said Raymond Tanner, a chef in the Great Hall. "Most of the time I ask customers to come back and give opinions on how to improve."

Other employees said training had already been done, before ARAMARK took over.

"The customer training is something we do ever year. It was nothing new," said Tonya Earls, a lead food service worker.

"It basically re-emphasizes customer service to make us more aware."

Employees are being trained to handle customer complaints, hopefully alleviating the need for manager assistance. During training, ARAMARK tries to give all employees the opportunity to develop problem-solving skills by engaging in role-playing and responding to hypothetical situations.

"The guest repertoire needs to be there," Lewis said.

Randolph emphasized that since employees will be trained in new areas "every so often" the process is ongoing.

"We will always do something with guest focus," Randolph said.

One training tool is a 20-minute video set in the Seattle sea market that stresses motivation and teamwork. "The video is good for any customer service.... It's really funny," Randolph said.

Great Hall employees also went through additional "concept training" to prepare for the arrival of new foods like Pangeos Pasta. ARAMARK plans on adding the pasta to the Marketplace, where similar training is planned.

In March, sanitation certification is also planned for all employees, since they must be re-tested in sanitation practices every three years.

In addition to ARAMARK's employee training, managers also were trained in disciplinary techniques and leadership skills to improve management interaction with employees. "[We] want [managers] to attack the problem, not the person," Randolph said.

Share and discuss “ARAMARK trains employees in customer service” on social media.