Speaker provided message on civil rights struggle

We would like to thank the Black Student Alliance and the Women's Center for inviting speaker Elaine Brown to campus. It is a rare opportunity to interact with a historical figure who has had such an impact not only on the status of blacks but also on the very definition of social movements in America. Elaine Brown's struggles and accomplishments throughout the civil rights movement make her an extremely qualified speaker on both racism and feminism.

We would like to encourage all Duke students to learn more about the Black Panther Party, through personal research or by reading the autobiography of Brown. The party came into being to address the suffering of black people in America. It was a time when federal troops, particularly in the South, had to be employed to repel racist, police-backed violence against black children trying to attend school with white children and against blacks seeking voting rights. The party took up arms to protect their community from police brutality. Among other things, the party developed programs that would at once raise consciousness and serve the needs of the people. It established a free breakfast program, health clinics, liberation schools, free grocery and legal aid programs.

The efforts of the party covered a broad spectrum of issues whose influences affected several communities. Brown said of the Black Panther Party "that our struggle embraces that of the oppressed around the world... the freedom of all people is on our agenda." The party worked not only with black organizations but also Mexican, Puerto Rican, White and Asian groups in America as well as other international movements.

When Brown spoke on Duke's campus Nov. 15, she urged the audience to stop being afraid to criticize publicly. She exemplified this with her own honesty, humor and insight about many of the issues facing students all over America, including racism and feminism. She also shared her thoughts on education, housing, welfare, the media and the war against terrorism. Brown's visit was a much needed event in a day when intolerance is disguised as patriotism both on this campus and around the United States.

Jessica Rutter

Trinity '04

Shameika Taylor

Trinity '02

Pavithra Vasudevan

Trinity '03

And five others

Share and discuss “Speaker provided message on civil rights struggle” on social media.