Four cars behind Trent broken into

Four cars parked in the lot behind Trent Drive Hall were entered sometime around Nov. 28, with over $1,000 in damage and property stolen, said Maj. Robert Dean of the Duke University Police Department.

At 9:19 a.m. Nov. 28, campus police discovered that a vehicle had been broken into, with the $100 right door window broken out and $50 in damage done to the dashboard around the CD player. Nothing was stolen.

The officer also discovered that two other vehicles in and around the same lot had been broken into. The $100 left rear door window of one vehicle was broken out, a $250 Pioneer CD player/radio was stolen and $100 in damage was done to the dashboard. The $100 left rear door window of another vehicle was broken out, and $100 in damage was done to the dashboard around the CD player. Nothing was stolen.

A student reported that between 8:30 p.m. Nov. 27 and 5:30 p.m. Nov. 28, someone entered her secured vehicle, stole her Pioneer CD/AM/FM system of unknown value and 50 CDs worth $750 and caused $350 in damage to the dashboard. There were no signs of forced entry.

Bike jacked: A student reported that between 2 p.m. Nov. 20 and noon Nov. 27, someone stole his silver and black $2,500 21-speed specialized hardrock mountain bike and $25 U-shaped bike lock from the bike rack at Randolph Dormitory, Dean said. The student reported that he could not remember if he secured his bike with the lock.

Construction equipment stolen: An employee reported that between 4:15 p.m. Nov. 21 and 8 a.m. Nov. 26, someone pried open the rear doors to a Duke van, causing $300 in damage, and stole a $265 14-volt Dewalt screwdriver gun with two batteries and charger, a $235 Bosch hammer drill and five bits and three chisel bits to the hammer drill worth $170, Dean said. The thefts occurred at the lot near the steam plant on Campus Drive.

Vehicle stereos stolen: An employee reported that sometime before 7 p.m. Nov. 26, someone entered her secured vehicle while it was parked in the H parking lot, and stole her $300 Alpine stereo, Dean said. There were no signs of forced entry.

An employee reported that sometime before 5:30 p.m. Nov. 26, someone entered her unlocked vehicle in the H parking lot and stole her $200 Pioneer car stereo, Dean said.

Projector taken: An employee reported that between 8 a.m. Oct. 1 and 8 a.m. Oct. 15, someone entered a locked closet on 4200 Duke North and stole a $400 3M overhead projector, model 2000, Dean said. There were no signs of forced entry.

Laundry snatched: Someone stole $150 worth of a student's clothes between 2 and 4 p.m. Nov. 3 from the laundry room in the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity section, Dean said.

Adapter pilfered: An employee reported that between 4:30 p.m. Nov. 20 and 10:45 a.m. Nov. 26, someone entered a secured room in the basement of the Physics Building and stole a $100 IBM AC adapter, Dean said. There were no signs of forced entry.

Extinguisher discharged, phone damaged: At about 11:18 p.m. Nov. 29, campus police received an emergency phone call from the Round Table subbasement, Dean said. Upon arrival, police learned that someone had discharged a fire extinguisher, causing $35 in damage, and the emergency phone receiver had been torn from the phone, causing $65 in damage.

Student receives harassing call: A student reported that at 6:07 p.m. Nov. 30 she received an obscene phone call from a man, Dean said. She reported that since Nov. 17, she has received about six to seven calls at random hours during the day and night. She believes the calls are from the same individual, but the one on Nov. 30 was the first obscene call.

Student reports wrongful billing: A student reported that Sept. 23 she ordered some food from Bull City Grill, which she canceled after waiting over an hour for delivery, Dean said. She said Bull City told her they would cancel the DukeCard purchase. The student received her statement Oct. 22 and noticed the $12.50 purchase had been charged to her account. The case is still under investigation.

Cash stolen: An employee reported that between 8 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Nov. 24, someone stole $8 cash from her unprotected nurse's bag, which was on a counter top in the 3200 Duke Hospital conference room, Dean said.

Campus police request that anyone who has knowledge about those responsible for these and other crimes at the University contact Lt. Sara-Jane Raines at 684-4713 or Durham Crimestoppers at 683-1200. Up to $1,200 will be paid for information leading to an arrest.

Share and discuss “Four cars behind Trent broken into” on social media.