Students report 2 armed robberies

Three robberies occurred on campus this past weekend, two armed robberies on Central Campus early Saturday and another robbery in the Sarah P. Duke Gardens that evening. Maj. Robert Dean of the Duke University Police Department said his office was not sure if the incidents were committed by the same people.

A student reported that at about 3:04 a.m. Nov. 17, a man with a small handgun entered her unlocked apartment at 312 Anderson St. and demanded valuables from the seven people present, Dean said. The perpetrator stole a $2,100 Compaq laptop computer, serial number 5419KDJKBE98, a $1,500 Sony camcorder, $100 in cash and a $900 men's Tag Heuer wrist watch.

The suspect was described as a 6'1" to 6'3" black man in his 40s, with a full beard about the length of his hair; his hair was described as short. The man wore a denim jacket, blue jeans and a light-colored shirt.

Another student reported that at 3:17 a.m. Nov. 17, as he and a friend walked across Central Campus, they were approached by a man on Yearby Street near Anderson Street. The man pointed a small handgun at them and demanded money; he took $40 from one student and left.

The suspect was described as a 5'10" 40-year-old black man with gray hair and a beard, wearing a denim jacket and pants. Duke police posted advisories over the weekend warning students about the two incidents.

A student also reported that at about 7:48 p.m. Nov. 17, he was robbed in the Duke Gardens by two men, Dean said. The student reported that the two subjects approached him, demanded money and that he gave them $40.

He said that as he walked away, one of the subjects hit him in his jaw, and that he ran from the Gardens with the subjects in pursuit for a short distance. No gun was involved. The subjects were described as two black men, one about 5'9", dressed in dark clothing--a jacket with the hood pulled down tightly. Dean said no further description of the second subject was available.

Share and discuss “Students report 2 armed robberies” on social media.