The independent news organization of Duke University

Falling into fun

T he air is crisp, the leaves are changing and students' desires to get out and enjoy the season are on the rise. This can mean only one thing--fall has arrived in North Carolina.

From festivals to food to crafts, there is a wide variety of seasonal activities in the Triangle area that the Duke community can take advantage of.

One such event is the 29th Annual FestiFall Street Fair this Sunday, Oct. 7, in downtown Chapel Hill. This "premier fall spectacular," sponsored by the Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department, boasts a variety of entertainment, such as live music, dance, puppet shows, arts and crafts, international food and an interactive "KidzZone."

"It's a community event that's meant to promote the local artists and entertainers," said Wes Tilghman, Arts and Event Specialist with Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation. "It is always held the first weekend in October to have that [fall] theme."

For many, it would hardly be autumn without pumpkin patches, which can be found at Ganyard Hill Farm in southeastern Durham. The interactive farm also features cornfield and hay mazes, a barn with various harvest products for sale, animals to be fed, hayrides and miles of walking grounds.

"Just walking around the farm is something people enjoy doing," said Milton Ganyard, owner of the farm. "I think they like getting out of the stuffy house." He explained that the gravel roads are easy to walk on, especially because the daily hayrides smooth them down.

While the farm often hosts school field trips and reserved parties, Ganyard said walk-ins are always welcome, especially on weekends.

Share and discuss “Falling into fun” on social media.