ARAMARK broadens worker training

In an effort to improve the quality of food and service at ARAMARK Corp. eateries, the company has begun implementing its employee training programs.

So far, the company has used CD-ROMs and videotapes that include recipes and pictures of food to introduce employees to the more labor-intensive concepts of ARAMARK. Most of the training relates to new stations at the Marketplace and the Great Hall.

David Randolph, the food service's resident district manager, said the company has focused on stabilizing service, improving guest satisfaction and bettering employee-student communication.

Prior to ARAMARK's July 1 arrival, the University hired an outside company to conduct a one-day training session that included role playing and skits. Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst said ARAMARK is better able to provide the training because they have the structure and resources to foster a better work environment and improve employee morale.

ARAMARK requires employees to attend monthly meetings where they are encouraged to provide feedback for improvement. Managers have individual performance plans to improve disciplinary practices and communication.

Randolph said analysis must be ongoing for the company to be successful.

"The biggest asset for a food company is the people--they're needed to be successful," he said.

During school breaks, employees will participate in the ARAMARK Academy, 13 training modules that take up to 40 hours.

Managers now participate in ARAMARK's Eight Steps of Food Production Management, a program that prepares them to understand the eating habits of their customers and complete tasks like forecasting and implementing menus, ordering, balancing production in the kitchens and controlling waste.

They also take part in Pathways to Leadership, a CD-ROM training program that includes ARAMARK policies and procedures regarding cost controls, accounting, scheduling, production, sanitation, training and legal issues. Previously, managers were not responsible for these tasks.

Several employees said little has changed under ARAMARK's direction.

"It's the same menu and not much has changed, but I had expected and am expecting more change," said C.D. Hunter, an employee in the Great Hall.

Vernon Dunnegan, a cook in the Great Hall, agreed. "The cooks haven't had a lot of training, but I'm satisfied with what I see.... There's always other things to learn."

Further changes are expected over the coming months. An independent company will conduct a survey program for students after fall break and will compare the results to those of other universities. Hunter said ARAMARK will change the menu if students dislike the food.

Supervisors will also have the opportunity to participate in Building Leadership Skills, a national program that will enable them to network with food service managers around the country.

"Employees need to be prepared for opportunities inside and outside of Duke," Wulforst said.

Share and discuss “ARAMARK broadens worker training” on social media.