Field Hockey edges VCU 3-1, remains undefeated

When asked about her aspirations for this season, first-year forward Johanna Bischof listed starting every game and "maybe" scoring 10 goals.

The latter goal no longer seems so far off as the eighth-ranked field hockey team bested Virginia Commonwealth, 3-1, on the back of Bischof's two goals Saturday afternoon. Bischof now has three this season, including her first career goal against Radford Aug. 25.

The North Vancouver, British Columbia native smacked in the game winner just four minutes into the second stanza on a pass from Gracie Sorbello. After a first half of missed opportunities, the Blue Devils (3-0) came out in the second with renewed vigor. Bischof's goal capped a four-minute sequence of spreading the Rams' defense to open up the VCU circle.

"Coach gave us a talk at halftime and told us that they were just standing in the circle with their sticks down," Bischof said, "and we had to figure out a way to get the ball around them."

Virginia Commonwealth (1-1) scored first in the contest, with 9:15 remaining in the first half, as senior Lauren Sparrow knocked it in. The sizable crowd was not nearly as upset by the continual rain as by Duke's failure to convert on more than one of its five corners and 17 first-half shots.

The Rams used their fewer scoring opportunities much more efficiently, scoring on only seven chances: Four shots and three corners. In fact, the Blue Devils hardly allowed Virginia Commonwealth to cross the half-field line in the first half, but Sparrow's goal proved that one lapse of concentration can turn the tide.

"It's difficult to play against teams that really pack it in the circle," coach Liz Tchou said. "I think it was obviously a good experience for us because we're going to meet teams like that, especially when they score a goal first. After that they want to hold the fort [defensively]."

Eight minutes later, Bischof and the Duke offense stormed the Rams' fort and flicked the ball from the left side past VCU goalie Anne Forrester to tie the game. With the score at 1-1, the Blue Devils could breathe easier and attempt to solve the Rams' swarming defense, which allowed a season-high 29 shots on goal, but never any solely on the goalie.

After Bischof's second goal of the afternoon, Virginia Commonwealth faced a more disciplined Duke squad, which spread the ball out more evenly and attempted to move the ball laterally as well as upfield.

Senior Robin Merritt scored the third and final goal of the afternoon as she pushed classmate Liz Bateman's shot past the outstretched Forrester.

"They had a really good game plan coming out against us," captain Angie North said. "They had eight or nine players behind the ball at a time. We had no choice but to go back and around them because we couldn't hit the through balls [through the circle]."

Duke improves to 3-0 with the win, its best start since 1993. Goalie Hallie Smith recorded one save in the contest, while Bischof leads the team in scoring with her three goals. Bateman also leads the Blue Devils with three assists.

"It feels good to be 3-0," North said. "We didn't play our best game today, but we're moving up, and we haven't had any setbacks yet."

Share and discuss “Field Hockey edges VCU 3-1, remains undefeated” on social media.