Letter: Duke's increased commitment to Durham pays off

I was pleased to see your April 5 photo of Durham high school students on campus for "School Days 2001." This program, which welcomes local students and encourages them to pursue higher education, is just one of many run by the Duke Office of Community Affairs.

As a member of the Duke faculty for more than 30 years, I am very glad to see that Duke's constructive engagement in Durham is now significantly greater than ever before, and increasing. It is especially encouraging that the Duke-Durham Neighborhood Partnership is focusing Duke's efforts to be a good neighbor with such projects as affordable housing initiatives in Walltown, a new teen center in West End, tutoring and arts programming in the schools and community centers, and a new science lab at E.K. Poe Elementary.

The Board of Trustees in February reconfirmed the University's commitment to the Partnership because it is palpably improving the quality of life in the 12 neighborhoods near Duke's campus and boosting student achievement in the seven public schools that serve them.

I would like to encourage all Duke employees-and particularly Duke faculty-to get involved in the Neighborhood Partnership and other programs of the Community Affairs Office. An easy way to start, for those who patronize Wellspring Grocery on Ninth Street, is to go shopping there on Tuesday, April 10. The store is generously donating 5 percent of its sales to the Duke-Durham Neighborhood Partnership.

Peter Burian

Professor,

Department of Classical Studies

Chair,

Academic Council

Share and discuss “Letter: Duke's increased commitment to Durham pays off” on social media.