Which Beach

Going to Atlantic City for the beach is like reading Playboy for the articles. In a time long passed, vacationers trekked to Atlantic City in modest bathing suits to frolic in the sun, watch large animals be forced off high platforms into small pools of water and, in general, participate in good, old-fashioned family fun. In recent years, there has been an attempt to recapture the city's golden days, to revive the spirit of wholesome entertainment that once pervaded the entire Jersey Shore. Fortunately for us, those efforts have completely failed-not entirely surprising when you consider they were spearheaded by Mr. Family Values, Donald Trump. But say what you will of the man-who-would-be-president, he knows debauchery-and that's 94.7 percent of a successful spring break. The shores of Atlantic City are lined with Mr. Trump's casinos and those of various other trashy tycoons. And with that comes some undeniable perks for the young and naughty: free drinks, cheap rooms, cheaper food and, of course, gambling galore. Each casino is different, of course, but not different enough to mention. In the end, the real choice comes down to whether you prefer your cocktail waitresses dressed like Polynesian princesses or showboat showgirls. There are also clubs and the requisite Sonny and Cher impersonators, but let's be honest-the real entertainment comes on the casino floor. Like all good dens of iniquity, the casinos never close and their guests never sleep. The liquor flows freely, the coins clink loudly and every loser is just one hand away from the big score. As a destination for Duke students, Atlantic City has its drawbacks. Most notably, the water doesn't heat up for another six months, and the beach itself will likely be far from tropical. And as much fun as septuagenarians can be, as a general guideline, the best bedtime companions never put their teeth in a cup. The 10-hour drive ain't much fun, neither. In the end, though, the thrill isn't in the atmosphere, it's in the promise of cold hard cash. Not to mention the cocktail waitresses. -By Kate Stroup

Share and discuss “Which Beach” on social media.