Burgess decides to transfer from Duke

Chris Burgess told coach Mike Krzyzewski that he intends to transfer from Duke, and athletic director Joe Alleva announced late yesterday that the sophomore center's release has been granted.

A source close to the situation told The Chronicle last night that Utah is the most likely destination for Burgess, although UCLA and Missouri are also considerations.

Neither Burgess nor his parents could be reached for comment.

Just as was the case last week with Will Avery's announcement, Burgess' decision apparently caught Krzyzewski off guard.

"I am surprised by the decision and the timing of it," Krzyzewski said in a statement released by the school. "I certainly wish Chris and his family the best in the future."

Burgess is the second transfer in a year to leave Duke, joining Mike Chappell, who transferred to Michigan State last April 24. Burgess talked late in the season about the possibility of going on a two-year Mormon mission but decided to leave the University for good instead. He'll have to sit out the 1999-2000 season at whichever school he chooses, though Burgess still has the option of going on a mission after his transfer.

With Will Avery and Elton Brand already gone, Burgess' departure leaves Shane Battier and reserve J.D. Simpson as the only players left from Duke's vaunted Class of 2001, perhaps the Blue Devils' best recruiting class ever.

Burgess, a 6-foot-10, 245-pounder from Irvine, Calif., averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds this season while mostly coming off the bench for the Blue Devils. His performance over the past two years fell short of the high expectations heaped on the former McDonald's High School All-American when Burgess chose Duke over BYU in the fall of 1996.

Corey Maggette, meanwhile, remains undecided about his future. The freshman has until May 16 to declare his intentions to NBA commissioner David Stern. The only three players from this past season's nine-man playing rotation certain to return are Battier, Chris Carrawell and Nate James.

With Burgess and Brand both gone from the frontcourt, Matt Christensen, who will return to the active roster after missing the past three seasons, is Duke's only returning big man. Duke's recruiting class for next year, however, does include 6-8 Carlos Boozer, 6-11 Casey Sanders and 6-10 Nick Horvath.

Share and discuss “Burgess decides to transfer from Duke” on social media.