Boilermakers railroad Blue Devils

SAN JOSE, Calif. - As journeys go, it was a good one. It reached its intended destination, but was stopped just one game short of its ultimate goal Sunday night.

The 1998-99 season came to an ugly end in the same place that it started in November, as Duke shot 32.7 percent from the floor and fell to No. 1 Purdue 62-45 in the national championship game at the San Jose Arena.

"You know, we've come such a long way, and we've been playing our best basketball," said Duke coach Gail Goestenkors. "So it's disappointing that your last game is not even close to being one of your best games."

Ukari Figgs scored all 18 of her points in the second half to lead Purdue (34-1) back from a 22-17 halftime deficit.

After hitting five three-pointers in the Boilermakers' semifinal win against Louisiana Tech, Figgs struggled to find the range on her outside shot Sunday, going 0-for-5 from beyond the arc.

But Figgs consistently beat her defenders off the dribble, scoring by going hard to the basket and converting from the foul line.

"I just went into the locker room disappointed in myself," said Figgs, who was named the tournament's most outstanding player. "I felt like I let my team down. I wasn't aggressive, I wasn't attacking the basket. I just knew I had 20 minutes to be either a winner or a loser."

Figgs hit the first two baskets of the second half on a 10-foot running jumper and a driving scoop to cut Duke's lead to 22-21. Six minutes later, a driving layup by Figgs gave her team the lead for good with 12:55 left to play.

Duke almost caught a break with four minutes remaining. Purdue All-America guard Stephanie White-McCarty landed awkwardly after attempting a pull-up jumper, and stayed down on the court as Hilary Howard drained a three-pointer to make the score 47-42.

Even without one of their senior leaders, the Boilermakers sealed up the win with a 13-0 run.

"They are such a close team," Goestenkors said. "I remember when it happened I talked to my assistants and said, 'Okay, it's going to go one way or the other.' They tend to rally for one another, and I think that's exactly what happened."

Purdue's defense held Duke (29-7) to a season-low in scoring and the second-fewest number of points scored in a national championship game. It was an especially tough night for perimeter players Hilary Howard, Nicole Erickson and Georgia Schweitzer, who combined for 12 turnovers and just 17 points.

The Boilermakers played mostly man-to-man but switched on all screens, something Goestenkors said the team had not faced in quite some time and played a key role in the Blue Devils' struggles.

"A lot of times we weren't open when we were used to being open," Howard said. "They play good pressure defense. We've seen that before, but unfortunately, we just didn't adjust to it."

The first half was a record-setting exercise in offensive futility for both teams. Purdue, shooting just 8-for-28 from the floor, set an NCAA championship game record for fewest points before the break with 17. The 39 points scored by both teams combined were also a record low.

Duke led for the majority of the first half but could never pull away, handicapped by 11 turnovers and 39 percent shooting.

"We were a little tight in the beginning," Howard said. "The first half was not a pretty half of basketball. I don't know what I attribute that to; nerves, just being anxious to play. Unfortunately, we stopped doing the things that got us here."

White-McCarty, Figgs and Katie Douglas scored a total of 43 points despite shooting 14-for-41 collectively. Camille Cooper added 13 points for the Boilermakers.

Michele VanGorp was the only Blue Devil in double digits with 15 points. Peppi Browne grabbed a game-high nine rebounds.

Duke's appearance in the championship game was a first for the program and just the third by any ACC team. Even though Purdue brought an end to the journey-the term that coaches and players alike used for a season that came full-circle to the San Jose Arena-it still was a year to remember for the Blue Devils.

"This is certainly not the way we envisioned the end of the season, but it's been a great season," Goestenkors said. "It's been a wonderful journey, and I'm very proud of my team."

Notes: Figgs was joined on the all-tournament team by teammates Douglas and White-McCarty, as well as Duke's Erickson and VanGorp.... Purdue's national championship is the first women's basketball title for a Big Ten team and the first women's title in any sport in school history.... Since the AP poll originated in 1977, every No. 1 team that has made it to the national final has won.

Share and discuss “Boilermakers railroad Blue Devils” on social media.