Raleigh Community employees express excitement about DUHS

As doctors and staff at Raleigh Community Hospital went about the daily business of treating patients last Wednesday, they hardly noticed the changes in management. But the transition gives those employees a very different employer.

Last Tuesday, Duke University Health System officials announced they had reached a final agreement with Columbia/HCA to purchase Raleigh Community and that the hospital was now officially part of the expanding health system.

Officials at Raleigh Community-which will remain a community hospital-say they are very excited about the opportunity to work with DUHS.

"It's a win-win situation for everyone," explained Carla Hollis, vice president of marketing and development at Raleigh Community. She explained that since the May 19 agreement to purchase the hospital, officials at Raleigh Community have worked closely with administrators at the Health System in order to assess the current financial status of the hospital.

Many of those involved in that exchange will be part of the team that assesses the hospitals' needs in future months. Mike Israel, vice chancellor for health affairs and chief executive officer of Duke Hospital, said in an interview last week that officials plan to speak with doctors at the hospital about changes and improvements they believe would prove beneficial.

Hollis also elaborated on the advantages of working with Duke, citing the Health System's sound reputation and consistent leadership.

Raleigh Community Chief Financial Officer Ron Jamison added that the new system will bring long-term stability to the hospital "compared with being part of the for-profit health community of the past."

Raleigh Community staff found out that Columbia/HCA planned to sell the hospital in January. In May, they learned that DUHS would be the purchaser, Hollis said.

Many employees at Raleigh Community say they are enthusiastic about the chance to join the Duke team.

"We were looking at getting new physicians in and increasing our number of deliveries, and they want to help us do that," said Pam Willis, assistant director in childbirth. She added that while the hospital did receive support from Columbia/HCA under the old governance, there is much more backing for improvements from DUHS.

Phyllis Wount, chief technologist in radiology, echoed Willis' optimism about the changeover. She specifically cited the benefits of being connected with a health-care system with such a positive reputation.

Willis said that the purchase will also benefit the patients of Wake County. "It'll give people an opportunity to easily access [Duke's resources]," she said.

Hollis added that the purchase will improve both facilities, giving Raleigh Community doctors access to Duke facilities and information. In addition, she added, "without a facility in Wake County, you can't be a fully integrated health system."

The Medical Center's growth into a comprehensive health system has lasted several years, but this year's gains have been most visible. DUHS's partnership with Durham Regional Hospital-which was finalized July 1-created much more debate than the Raleigh purchase.

Israel explained that the two subsidiaries are quite different in the types of agreements they have with the Health System.

"You can't compare the two transactions," he said.

He added that in the Durham Regional lease, the county needed to protect its property, which it will be regaining when the lease term ends. The Raleigh Community deal was a straight-out purchase with a pure sale. Financial details of the purchase were not released.

Share and discuss “Raleigh Community employees express excitement about DUHS” on social media.