Hill shines in rushing debut but still prefers secondary

Less than a month ago, true freshman B.J. Hill arrived at training camp intent on playing strong safety at Duke.

The funny thing is, Hill's intentions still haven't changed despite turning in the best rushing debut in Blue Devil history. Hill ran for 121 yards on 23 carries in Duke's 24-10 season-opening win over Western Carolina Saturday night.

But after the game, Hill was still talking about playing in the secondary.

"I love defense," Hill said. "Hopefully, if not move back to defense, I'll get something back there, at least in practice. But whatever the team needs, that's what I'll do."

What Duke needed Saturday was a running back who could fill in for injured veterans Letavious Wilks and Duane Epperson and keep the Blue Devils' offense balanced. Hill wasn't that guy in mid-August.

The first 10 or so practices, Hill stayed at strong safety. But once both Wilks and Epperson were sidelined by a partially separated shoulder and strained hamstring, respectively, both Hill and fellow freshman Fred Harris moved to tailback. Hill won the job and showed why against a Catamount defense that stacks nine or 10 men on the line.

"B.J. Hill did a great job tonight," coach Fred Goldsmith said. "He found the holes, he made those cutbacks. It took some real intelligence in a short crash course. It didn't really dawn on me that he had gained that many yards."

Hill gained so many yards because Les Koenning's offensive game plan made sure that Duke's attack would remain balanced. While it looked at times as if receivers Richmond Flowers and Scottie Montgomery could blow by the Western Carolina secondary with ease, the Blue Devils have made it clear in training camp that they desire the balance on offense they haven't had in a few years.

Even with a true freshman in the backfield, the strategy didn't change.

"We've got a guy who's a freshman back there, and we needed to get him the ball and keep him in a groove," quarterback Spencer Romine said. "He hadn't been in this situation so I think to establish him was a key."

Hill's first burst came at the end of the first quarter, when he carried the ball five times for 31 yards, including a 16-yard gain on a draw play up the middle. Though the possession resulted in a Brian Morton punt, Hill forced the Catamounts to respect Duke's running game, which in turn helped open the passing attack.

When the Blue Devils took the ball at Western Carolina's 40 already ahead 7-0, Hill gained 34 yards on four carries to put Sims Lenhardt in position for a 24-yard field goal.

Duke's final two touchdowns were built around its passing game, but by the time the Blue Devils surged ahead 24-7, Hill was already well on his way to rushing for over 100 yards, and a 21-yard carry on a sweep right with 11 minutes left in the game only punctuated the freshman's standing in the Duke record books.

"This wasn't even in my dreams," Hill said. "My dreams coming in here were to come in and make a hit at strong safety. I never thought I'd be running the ball, but I'm glad things fell into place the way they did."

Hill realizes that Wilks and Epperson are both likely to return to practice this week in preparation for Duke's game at Northwestern Saturday afternoon. But if he ends up moving back to defense, Hill's one guy who won't be complaining.

"I hint at [moving back]," Hill said smiling. "But I don't want to make Coach mad. When the other running backs come back, I know my role as a running back is to fill in.

"I have to stay competitive and push them because I know they'll push me. It's a helpful relationship, no animosity and no conflict, just a healthy competition."

Share and discuss “Hill shines in rushing debut but still prefers secondary” on social media.