Students offer clear support for fee increase, Wendy's

By overwhelming margins, students voting in yesterday's Duke Student Government elections approved a $5 increase in the student activities fee and recommended that Wendy's replace Burger King in the Bryan Center.

The Duke University Union will use the funds generated from the fee increase- which garnered 73.1 percent of the vote-to bolster student programming. Although most of the Union's 13 committees will benefit from the increase, the majority of the funds will be distributed to the Major Attractions committee and the Special Events committee, said Trinity senior and Union President Emmy Andrews.

Because the funds will be taken from undergraduates, the union wanted to focus the benefits of the increase to committees specializing in undergraduate programming, she said.

"Every student enjoys at least something that the Union has done," Andrews said. "We'll definitely work to deliver on our promises."

During the past year, the Major Attractions committee has brought to campus Toad the Wet Sprocket, Adam Sandler and George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars. Oktoberfest, Springfest and a yearly comedy event are currently organized by Special Events committee.

With an increased budget, Andrews explained, the Union will be able to implement programs aimed at improving campus race relations. "[The programs will] be about interaction of all types on campus," she said.

The voter turnout of 48.7 percent exceeded the one-third turnout necessary to approve a fee increase. Andrews was pleased with the results. "I was more worried about voter turnout than support," she said.

The other referendum on the ballot concerned the future of fast food at the University. McDonald's, Burger King and Hardee's finished far behind Wendy's, which was favored by 70.5 percent of students.

Some students praised the variety of the Wendy's menu and-most importantly-frosties. "Frosties are big, number one," said Trinity freshman Phil Tinari.

"[Wendy's] is one of my favorite restaurants back home," said Trinity sophomore Jennifer Ammons. "I think the prices are quite reasonable and the food is quite good."

Burger King, which debuted in 1993, is nearing the end of its five-year contract with the University.

Administrators in Dining Services will use the referendum as part of their decision-making process. Jim Wulforst, director of Dining Services, said last week that student input will impact his choice.

"What my customers want dictates what my actions are," he said.

Share and discuss “Students offer clear support for fee increase, Wendy's” on social media.