Duke suffers lost lead, failed comeback in Ga. Tech sweep

The difference between winning and losing is often very minute, as the baseball team so painfully found out this past weekend in Atlanta as it was swept in its three-game series with Georgia Tech.

"This series hurt," Duke coach Steve Traylor said. "We had opportunities to win two out of the three games. You know when you go on the road against a highly-ranked team like that, when you get an opportunity to get a win or two, you've got to get it done. For the second weekend in a row, we didn't get it done."

In the first game of the series Friday night at Russ Chandler Stadium, the No. 23 Yellow Jackets (20-9, 8-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) knocked off No. 17 Duke (25-9, 3-8), 9-8. The pitching dual between Duke junior Stephen Cowie and Georgia Tech's Chuck Crowder lived up to its advanced billing, but the offense heated up after the two hurlers departed the game.

Cowie pitched seven solid innings for Duke and limited the Yellow Jackets to just three runs on 10 hits. Crowder, who pitched equally well for Georgia Tech, held Blue Devil batters to just two runs and recorded 10 strikeouts in just six innings of work.

Immediately following Crowder's departure, the Blue Devils took advantage. The Blue Devils' bats exploded for six runs in the top half of the seventh inning, as junior Jordan Litrownik's grand slam pushed the Duke lead to 8-1. Although Georgia Tech picked up two runs in the bottom half of the seventh, the Yellow Jackets still trailed 8-3 going into the bottom of the ninth.

Duke senior Jim Wendling came on in the ninth and began well, retiring the first batter, but then allowed the next five Yellow Jackets to reach base. Ryan Brooks doubled, and Scott Prather and Heath Honeycutt followed with RBI singles to trim the Duke lead to 8-5. Brad Stockton then doubled to the left-center field wall to drive in two and cut the lead to one, 8-7.

Brad Dupree came on in relief, walking Bryan Prince and surrendering a game-ending double to Eric McQueen.

The Blue Devils were forced to use the Wendling-Dupree combo instead of usual closer Vaughn Schill.

"We thought we could use Vaughn Schill in the ninth, but he went down to the bullpen and came back and said his arm was unable to go," Traylor said.

Schill's arm was still tight after the sophomore closed Duke's 4-3 win over Wofford Thursday.

On Saturday, it was Georgia Tech's turn to build up a big lead and try to hold on as it slipped away. L.J. Yankosky was looking to remain undefeated and the Yellow Jacket sluggers were looking to build on the confidence that they had gained in a dramatic late rally in game No. 1. Yankosky only pitched five innings, but he fanned 10 batters and allowed only one run.

McQueen, who was the hero of the first game, added a two-run single in the fifth to build a 4-1 Georgia Tech lead. Stephen Donaghey added an insurance run in the seventh with a RBI double.

Despite a 5-1 deficit in the eighth, Duke staged a late rally to inch closer. Sophomore Ed Conrey slammed a double and later scored on a wild pitch. The Blue Devils then took advantage of two errors by the Yellow Jackets in the ninth inning to score three unearned runs. It was not enough, however, as the Blue Devils fell 6-5.

Georgia Tech won the third game 12-4 for a series sweep of Duke. The wins also allowed the Jackets to move into third place in the Atlantic Coast Conference behind Florida State and Clemson. Scott Prather pitched seven solid innings for Georgia Tech, receiving more than enough run support.

Duke starter Brent Reid allowed four runs in the second as Brad Stockton slapped a two-run blast and fellow freshmen Bryan Prince and Ryan Brooks followed with two solo shots. Brooks added a three-run job in the third, and Tech scored two each in the fourth and fifth to up the lead to 11-3.

The Blue Devils' bullpen struggles in the first game raise some concerns for the rest of the season.

"We need to sit down and figure out how to set our pitching up," Traylor said. "If Vaughn's not going to be able to go consistently, we're going to have to make some changes. I do think Vaughn's still going to be able to close for us most of the time."

Traylor discussed using Cowie or Chris Capuano as a Friday closer and a Sunday starter as one alternative.

Michael King contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Duke suffers lost lead, failed comeback in Ga. Tech sweep” on social media.