No. 27 Maryland's forecast remains bright in life after Booth

The Maryland Terrapins have their work cut out for them. With a team that, in other years or other conferences, might be rated as a number-one or number-two pick, the Terps settle for a distant preseason fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference, behind three Final Four hopefuls. To force its way into the upper echelon of the conference, Maryland will have to pool its talent and pull a few rabbits out of hats.

Fortunately for Maryland, it has the potential to do exactly that. This team-plus last year's third-leading ACC scorer, Keith Booth-won 17 of its first 19 games last season before fading down the stretch. Now, freshman Terence Morris and senior Rodney Elliott will try to take Booth's place on the court next to Maryland's four returning starters in an attempt to pick up where the Terps left off late last season.

"We'll replace [Booth] with the team," coach Gary Williams said. "In other words, you can't ask one guy to do what he did for four years, to step right in and do that. We have to have the experience now that we had all of last year.... We return four starters; hopefully, they all can make up for the loss of a player like Keith."

Junior Obinna Ekezie, who pulled down 6.6 rebounds per game last year, will be a big part of the effort. The center never reached his potential last year, as foul trouble limited his minutes of playing time. When the Nigerian Ekezie stayed in for the whole game, the Terps went 11-4. Generally considered one of the league's best post players, Ekezie will lead an aggressive and deep Maryland defense.

Ekezie will be joined on the court by fellow foreigner Sarunas Jasikevicius. Jasikevicius, best known to the Cameron Crazies as "the guy from Lithuania," is the Terps' only returning senior. Along with Ekezie, Laron Profit and Terrell Stokes, he forms a core of returning junior and senior starters that hopes to take the lead this year.

Maryland's standout performer this season, however, may turn out to be not a returnee at all, but the squad's top newcomer, Morris. The 6-foot-8 forward was one of the nation's top recruits last year, ranked in the top 25 by many. He could step directly into the shoes of Keith Booth, and most believe that he will fill those shoes adequately, whether this year or next. Down the road, Morris is expected to become one of the best players on his team, if not in the conference. Williams, however, questions the parallels between the freshman and Booth.

"Terence is more of a quick player, not a power player, who happens to be [6-8]," Williams said. "He gives us a dimension-a guy that big on the court that can really pass, a very good shooter, all those things. He won't make us tougher physically this year, anyway."

Jasikevicius had only praise for the freshman, calling him "special" and asserting that he would "probably be one of the better ones to play here in Maryland." Whether Jasikevicius, a relative newcomer to Maryland basketball with only a few years' experience in the U.S., is qualified to make such an prediction is debatable, but Morris will doubtlessly contribute.

Williams will face a difficult decision between filling his fifth position primarily with the talented Morris or with the experienced senior, Elliott.

"I see myself with a starting role this year, definitely," Elliott said. "But if coach decides I'm going to be the sixth man this year, I have no problem with that.... My number one thing is just to come in, ready to play."

Elliott played backup last year to Booth, but had almost as many minutes as the starters.

Maryland has already gotten a taste of the difficult season that lies ahead. On Nov. 14, the Terrapins opened up against non-conference rival South Carolina. The Terps took the No. 8 Gamecocks to overtime before falling, 76-72. Profit led Maryland with 24 points, but his missed 3-point attempt with three seconds left sealed its fate.

Despite the opening loss for Maryland, it may be developing something more valuable-a natural leader in Profit. The junior swingman not only got his battle scars-eight stitches over his left eye-but also rallied his team near the end of both regulation and overtime. After he missed the final shot, he took full responsibility for the loss. Profit, who was inconsistent in his play last year, could be the leader that Maryland needs to overcome the loss of Booth.

Should Maryland live up to even part of its potential, it will make the trip to the NCAA tournament for a school-record fifth time in a row-a worthy accomplishment for the team picked to finish in the middle of its conference. Maryland, however, wants more than that. The Terps want to stand out in a conference full of talent. They want to win against a schedule full of winners. They want to rise above the second tier and take their place with the nation's elite. If they take advantage of their experience, depth and fresh talent, the Maryland Terrapins have every chance to do just that.

Share and discuss “No. 27 Maryland's forecast remains bright in life after Booth” on social media.