Multiple security concerns plague East Campus

It's 10 o'clock; do you know where your bike is?

Concern about safety issues has suddenly leapt to the forefront of public discourse following a rash of armed robberies on and around East Campus. Amidst administrative decisions about where to locate additional lights or the possibility of increasing police presence, those living on East Campus must face the daily questions of how to best protect themselves.

"As a relatively fleet male who seldom carries cash, I feel extremely safe walking and living on East," said Paul Gronke, assistant professor of political science and a faculty-in-residence in Pegram Dormitory. "On the other hand, there are places within 100 feet of my dorm where, at night, my wife feels unsafe."

The incidence of on-campus crime has, however, remained constant over the past few years. For example, there were three reported robberies in 1995, 10 in 1996 and three so far in 1997. The numbers of bike thefts are also stable-with 64 in 1996 and 48 through September of this year.

"For this size campus and the number of bicycles around here, [the number of bike thefts is] about average," said Maj. Sarah Minnis of Campus Police. Although the number of bike thefts has increased in recent months, bike robberies work in cycles, Minnis said. She warned, however, that as Christmas approaches, "people go shopping."

Although the frequency of on-campus crime has not risen, there has been an increase in the number of University students robbed or attacked in the area surrounding East Campus-an area under the jurisdiction of the Durham Police Department.

John Knight, captain of the criminal investigation division of DPD, postulated that this increase resulted from "crimes of opportunity," in which victims fail to take proper precautions. In a continued attempt to apprehend criminals and educate residents within its jurisdiction, DPD has programs in place to encourage personal safety among local residents, Knight added.

Campus Police Maj. Robert Dean stressed the importance of students' protecting themselves. There must be a joint effort between students and police in order to ensure students' safety, Dean explained. He added that Campus Police has been trying to inform students, especially those living on East Campus, about methods for self-protection. No students, however, attended a town hall meeting last Wednesday that was focused on increasing personal safety.

Still, Residential Advisors and House Councils invite Campus Police to dorms each year to teach residents about alcohol awareness and general crime prevention.

Gronke said many students in his dorm were concerned about poor lighting on one side of the building-the side on which a break-in occurred during fall break. Although no students were injured in the robbery, personal belongings were stolen.

Increased lighting has been suggested as one method for improving student safety. Periodically, students and representatives from Campus Police, Auxiliary Services and Facilities Management tour the campus looking for poorly lit areas. Even once these areas are identified, however, the suggestions still must pass through the necessary channels before lights are installed.

Although increased lighting may prove more safe for students, it is not a universally approved solution-the additional lights may shine into students' bedrooms while they are trying to sleep, for example. Lewis Wardell, assistant director of operations for Campus Police, said that they receive almost as many complaints about excessive lighting that disturbs sleep or creates a "garish environment" as they receive complaints about insufficient lighting.

Wardell added that certain areas of the campus are intentionally left dark to discourage students from using these areas at night. Such locations include the track around East Campus-the site of an armed robbery Oct. 5-the Sarah P. Duke Gardens and the golf course.

"Lighting such areas implies to the user that they will be patrolled and protected constantly," Wardell said. He added that lights are placed in prescribed walking routes around campus.

Trinity senior Lino Marrero, president of Duke Student Government, is working on improving lighting in areas around East Campus frequently used by students. He said he feels that lights should be installed on Buchanan Street from East Campus to Northgate Mall, on Main Street into downtown, on Ninth Street and on the remaining walls surrounding East Campus. Marrero explained that lighting should fall into line with students' actual activities.

In addition to safety, University officials must consider the effect of these lights on the aesthetic environment of the campus. The Committee for Facilities and Environment is one of many groups that must review any proposed structure or landscaping, said John Pearce, University architect. Pearce said that although the committee is mainly concerned with preserving aesthetic appeal, many factors are involved in approving a new building, shrubbery or light.

The administration is concerned about both beauty and security, Dean agreed. He added that practical considerations must be made when examining safety issues. If there is recurring crime in a particular building, tearing down the building is not a practical way to solve the problem, he explained-instead, Campus Police might consider increasing patrols to the area.

Gronke insists that safety should always be of paramount importance. "I think beauty has to play a distinctly secondary role with regards to safety issues," he said.

Regardless, most East Campus residents said they generally feel pretty safe on campus, and a few said that they would feel safe on the East Campus track at night.

"Sometimes you just have to put your trust that everything is okay," said Trinity freshman Margaret Farrell. "If I have to go somewhere and no one can go with me, I'll just go by myself."

Many students, however, said they do take preventative measures to ensure their own safety. "I'm never alone," said Trinity freshman Erin Stege.

Students also emphasized the importance of walking in large groups-although the definition of large group ranged between two to six students.

"I don't think too many punks would bother a whole group," said Trinity freshman Kevin Klock.

Share and discuss “Multiple security concerns plague East Campus” on social media.