On-campus Chinese eatery to begin delivering to students

Han1s Fine Chinese Cuisine, the on-campus Chinese eatery, will soon begin providing students even easier access to Chinese food. In two weeks, it plans to begin delivering to students1 rooms.

Duke Delivery Service, an independent student-run business unaffiliated with the University, will deliver for the restaurant, said Trinity junior Carson Yost, president of the business. He said that the company will only deliver to students living on campus.

Han1s will begin by delivering dinner and may expand to include lunchtime and late evenings until midnight, said Jack Choa, Han1s owner.

Choa said that to meet the costs of the delivery service, Han1s will charge students approximately 10 percent more for items on the delivery menu than on the in-house menu.

While delivery during dinner hours will be available on the University meal plan1s dining points, lunch delivery will be on a cash basis, Choa said.

Jim Wulforst, director of dining services, said the restricted times in which delivery on points will be available to ensure that service is not compromised for students who eat on campus. Additionally, outside restaurateurs such as Wild Bull1s are also only allowed to deliver on points after 7 p.m. 3[Han1s] can only do what other meals-on-points vendors can do,2 he said.

Wulforst added that the expansion of the merchants on points delivery service may improve the variety and quality of food available to campus students. 3We are creating competition to get more people on campus,2 he said. 3We1re showing the community that you can do business [at the University].2

Despite the added cost, many students said they can see the benefit of a delivery service available on points as opposed to cash-based eateries such as New China Inn. 3The food is just as good [at Han1s],2 said Trinity junior Chrissie Lukasiewicz. 3If [the extra delivery charge] is attached onto the points, I wouldn1t mind.2

Jenny Exelbierd, Trinity O97, said that the proximity of the restaurant might cause students to be 3unreasonable2 about the amount of time in which they expect their meals delivered. She said she would order from Han1s. 3Points over not-points any day of the week,2 she said.

Catering operations manager James Smith acknowledged that New China Inn might anticipate a decrease in the amount of service they provide to the campus. 3[Delivery from Han1s] is going to be faster,2 he said.

Although the standard delivery time for restaurants is 20 to 40 minutes, Yost said he is hoping that the restaurant1s on-campus location will decrease delivery times.

But several students said that they would still order from New China Inn. 3I would tend to order off-campus [Chinese food] occasionally because the menus offer more things,2 said Trinity sophomore Carson Maynard.

The manager of New China Inn, Ping Yuan, said he expected an initial drop in orders from University students. 3We hope in the long run people will realize that we offer more variety,2 he said. Yuan added that New China Inn offers something Han1s cafeteria-style facility doesn1tDa full-service restaurant. 3[New China Inn has a] better dining atmosphere. It1s quieter and you get service and everything,2 he said.

Still, Choa said that he does not view New China Inn as a competitor. 3I1m here to serve students, not compete with anybody,2 Choa said.

Share and discuss “On-campus Chinese eatery to begin delivering to students” on social media.