Academic Council holds initial meeting

In its first meeting of the year, the Academic Council heard from President Nan Keohane about the multi-tiered and continuing efforts by her administration to improve race relations on campus.

As an example of this commitment, Keohane referred to the University's recent hiring of C.T. Woods-Powell as interim director of the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture-a position that had been vacant for two years following the death of professor and former director Ed Hill. Keohane also cited this weekend's John Hope Franklin celebration, which will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the publication of Franklin's famous novel, "From Slavery to Freedom," as a further example of campus cultural activities.

She also said that improving race relations on campus must be an inclusive effort by all members of the community.

"I am prepared to lead," she said. "But I can't do it myself."

She added that she welcomed suggestions about how to "harness the energy" currently existing on campus concerning the issue of race.

To that end, Keohane said she received a letter from the Inter-Community Council urging the administration to support its proposed "Race Day" next Friday, Sept. 26. Keohane said she was pleased to see the students' support for improving race relations but could not approve the formal cancellation of classes as the council had requested (see related story page 1).

Additionally, William Chafe, dean of Trinity College and the faculty of Arts and Sciences, released the results of his task force's review of diversity within the curriculum, which Keohane said will be instrumental in the council's upcoming comprehensive curriculum review. The review will examine, in addition to the presence of diversity in the curriculum and other issues, Trinity College's core graduation requirements.

Following a mid-May letter signed by several black faculty members expressing outrage at a mistaken arrest of a black student on campus, Keohane spoke with many of the letter's signatories.

Keohane said that, through these conversations, she learned that a safe method of recourse does not exist for minority members of the University community who believe they have been treated unfairly. Many black faculty members also believe that their work is not as thoroughly critiqued as that of their white counterparts, she continued, due to the reviewer's fear of being labeled racist. In such a situation, the reviewer should discuss the issue with an alternative black faculty member, Keohane concluded.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: The council's executive committee reported on its review of the Faculty Forum, a publication intended to provide a symposium for University faculty debate. The Forum's review proceeded as a result of a motion last May by Roy Weintraub, professor of economics, that the publication undergo a cost-and benefit-analysis.

The committee recommended that the forum publish only four issues this year instead of eight. Although still under review, the publication will remain under the control of current editor Victor Strandberg, professor of English, allowing him to review the committee's recommendations and make necessary changes.

Steve Nowicki, professor of biology and chair of the undergraduate subcommittee for the University's reaccreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, reported on the progress of the self-study report.

The report, Nowicki said, will be submitted to a visiting committee from SACS as a part of the reaccreditation-a process the University repeats every 10 years. The report has three major themes, Nowicki said: The University should focus on its commitment to liberal arts and undergraduate education; it should further integrate graduate students into the academic community; and it should explore ways to utilize its faculty resources more fully.

Share and discuss “Academic Council holds initial meeting” on social media.