Slumping Blue Devils prepared to shake up lineup

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But 13 games into the season, the women's soccer team has not exactly played like a well-oiled machine. Thus, a few adjustments to the parts might be in order.

Following a lackadaisical 3-1 home loss to N.C. State on Tuesday night, coach Bill Hempen will opt for a few fresh faces in the lineup when the Blue Devils take the field Sunday afternoon against the Vanderbilt Commodores.

"Throughout the year, people have asked me whether I should change things, I had always said we'd simply build on our success," Hempen said. "Now, I think it's time for a change."

Though he did not specify whom, some reserves and freshman are expected to contribute some major minutes Sunday.

"I think the enthusiasm will be there from the moment the whistle blows, as opposed to getting into it later on," Hempen said. "Of course, that depends on whether they show the same maximum effort in games as they did in training."

The fresh faces certainly will not be given a chance to get their feet wet with an easy opening act. Riding the high of a three-game winning streak, Vanderbilt is currently 7-5, and it will face Cincinnati tonight.

"Vanderbilt is always a well-organized team, tactically," Hempen said. "They always come in with some sort of a plan, and we're just going to have to figure it out and exploit it if at all possible."

Twins Jenger and Jennifer Burchett, senior co-captains, have anchored the Commodores for the past three seasons. Both three-time All-SEC selections, the twins have continued wreacking havoc on opponents this season with Jenger at forward and Jennifer playing the sweeper.

"Jennifer is more of a utility player, we've seen her play up front, sweeper, central midfielder," Hempen said. "[Jennifer and Jenger] are both very quick and technical, and it seems like they've been there for a long time. They are the heart and soul of the team."

Leading the Commodores in scoring is freshman Laura Koerner, who has racked up nine goals and five assists on the season for a total of 23 points. Joining Koerner on the front line is Jenger, the all-time leading scorer at Vanderbilt, who has added to her total with 12 points this season.

"We'll probably play four defenders as opposed to the usual three," Hempen said. "Our defense is still solid, but hopefully, the fourth defender will help to slow the leak."

The Blue Devils have struggled on offense all year long, mustering a shade under two goals a game. Hempen hopes the lineup shuffles will provide some life for the attacking unit.

"I hope that the excitement and enthusiasm [of the new players] will help them find a way to score," Hempen said.

Sunday's contest will be the first overnight road trip for the team, which has played its last three games at home.

"I know things are real hectic with midterms and papers, but maybe a chance to get away and just concentrate on soccer for 24 hours is what we need," Hempen said.

New faces and new scenery, the Blue Devils hope Sunday will also be the dawning of a new season.

Share and discuss “Slumping Blue Devils prepared to shake up lineup” on social media.