Nesbit to lead Duke Student Government as president

Trinity junior Tackus Nesbit was victorious in his bid for the Duke Student Government presidency Thursday, in an election with an overall voter turnout of approximately 43 percent.

Nesbit received 32 percent of the votes cast for president. "We feel really fortunate that we won, despite such a strong candidate field," Nesbit said. "There were a lot of good people running, and I'm really glad we came out on top. We've been given a great opportunity and we want to take full advantage and do everything we can to fulfill all the promises that we made during this campaign."

Other winners in yesterday's election were: Trinity freshman Sarah Mitchell, who won her bid for executive vice president; Trinity sophomore Dan Segal for vice president for academic affairs; Trinity sophomore Chris Lam, elected to vice president for student affairs; Trinity sophomore Trang Nguyen, the winner in the race for vice president for community interaction; and Trinity sophomore Jamin Dixon, vice-president for facilities and athletics.

Trinity senior Peggy Cross, the current DSG president, said she was pleased with the outcome of the election. "I think that the election process was very smooth this year," Cross said. "It was an election of ideas that people have been listening to and judging all year. There was a huge voter turn-out. The candidates all ran very clean campaigns so there wasn't anything negative to discourage people from voting."

Trinity junior Bill Schloss, DSG attorney general, agreed that this year's election successfully maintained its integrity. "I was happy with the election bylaw changes I made early in the year and think they did a lot to curb complaints and bring student confidence back to the elections process," Schloss said.

While winners needed at least six percent more of the votes than their nearest opponent, all of the victors accumulated decisive vote totals over other candidates. In the closest race, Mitchell had a 7.7 percent margin of victory over her second-closest opponent. She said she appreciative of the voter turnout. "The student government can only be effectual if people come out and let their voices be heard. I'll try to do more than my best."

Nesbit said he already has a timeline in mind for his preparations in assuming the role of DSG president.

"I'm looking forward to working with Peggy (Cross) in this time of transition, getting some guidance from her," he said. The two are also working to bring to campus some high-profile politicians, such as Mario Cuomo, to speak about the presidential primaries and upcoming election, he said.

Nesbit's top priorities include improving Safe Rides and Safe Walks and working to repeal the policy that prevents students on financial aid from keeping cars on campus. He also is aiming to get student groups the meeting spaces they need. "We campaigned hard for that and have lobbied the Board of Trustees, and we want to get them to hold to their promise about providing space for student groups."

Nesbit said he is excited about working with the team of vice-presidents who will join him in leading DSG next year.

"I think we have a great group of people. I can't wait until we all sit down together and start thinking about and planning out the things we want to tackle next year."

Share and discuss “Nesbit to lead Duke Student Government as president” on social media.