Frinzi falls in opening round of NCAA competition

Senior Scott Frinzi represented Duke at the NCAA Wrestling Championships, recording one victory before being eliminated from the second round of the consolation bracket.

Frinzi (20-10), who earned an NCAA bid by winning the Atlantic Coast Conference championship at the 150-pound weight class, dropped his first NCAA match to Northwestern's Brent Shiver, 18-7. Frinzi recovered with a 6-2 triumph over Brian Sashko of Cleveland State, but then fell 13-6 to Brown's Mike Francesca.

"I thought Scott did a good job," head coach Bill Harvey said. "He wrestled a very tough kid in the first match, and overall, Scott wrestled well."

After losing to Shiver, Frinzi maintained his composure and wrestled intelligently in his next match. Frinzi consistently rode Sashko and made takedowns while preventing Sashko from scoring more than once.

In his third match, Frinzi pulled within 7-6 before his opponent tallied the final six points. However, Harvey remained extremely proud of the senior, who became only the seventh Duke wrestler in the 1990s to reach the NCAA Championships.

"He had a real good year," Harvey said. "He won 20 matches, and that speaks for itself."

Frinzi finished his career in an excellent atmosphere. Over 77,000 spectators attended the NCAA Championships, and Frinzi appreciated the fans' support.

"It was an unbelievable experience," Frinzi said. "All those people showed great support for the sport, and around [Durham], we don't always get that."

Share and discuss “Frinzi falls in opening round of NCAA competition” on social media.