Freshman Heaps holds his own in physical NCAAs

#

Game commentary

#

Freshman Heaps holds his own in physical NCAAs**

The number 7 jersey holds a rich tradition in soccer. Many exceptional players donning that shirt have made it one to look out for. Perhaps only number 10 possesses a greater mystique.

It is usually an offensive player who wears number 7. From Bebeto of Brazil, Kenny Dalglish of Scotland to England's Bryan Robson, these great players have all been a part of that tradition.

Wearing the 7 jersey for Duke is freshman Jay Heaps. No one claims that he has reached a status anywhere near the other legends, but for the Blue Devils at least, number 7 is outstanding.

I mentioned Bebeto, Dalglish and Robson because Heaps reminds me of all three. Like Bebeto, Heaps, at 5-foot-9 and 150 lbs., is not particularly imposing. But his endless scurrying and the great timing on his jumps give him an on-field presence which makes up for his lack of physical stature.

On the ball, Duke's Atlantic Coast Conference Rookie of the Year threatens constantly. Like Dalglish used to be when he played, Heaps' skills and vision make him a constant scoring menace to opponents.

The Blue Devils' competitiveness, though, is a shade of Robson, the former captain of England. Heaps challenges fearlessly, often with much larger players. He pops up everywhere on the field and never capitulates, even on seemingly lost causes. Who can forget his two goals in the final 89 seconds which earned Duke a 3-3 tie with Virgina in the regular season?

For UNC-Greensboro coach Michael Parker, Heaps provided the edge for the home team when the Spartans travelled to Durham for an NCAA first-round game Sunday.

"He's a technically sound player to begin with," Parker said. "But he also has a tremendous desire to go with that."

In challenging for a header before Andy Kwon's 16th-minute goal for the Blue Devils, Heaps collided with a defender and came down with a half-inch gash over his left eye. He left the field with half his face covered in blood and returned shortly after with a bandage around his head. In his anxiety to get back into the action, Heaps ran onto the field too early, forgetting that his substitute needed to exit first.

"[The wound] didn't really affect me," Heaps said. "Only when I went up for headers, then I'd feel it open a little bit, and the blood going into my eye."

It was a long header Heaps won in the center circle that started Duke's third goal. He also saw another header bounce off the post. The midfielder's performance after he returned impressed UNC-G coach even more.

"I think that just sums it up," Parker said. "That's desire, that's courage."

On a day when Duke had trouble settling into its usual flow, perhaps Heaps was the difference. All-ACC teammate Brian Kelly, who was well shadowed throughout, had a relatively quiet game despite his 76th-minute goal.

Heaps joined a long line of injured Blue Devils. Left fullback Sam Smith played with a bandage over his sprained right wrist. Smith started in place of defender Adam Mastrelli, who is recovering from a pulled hamstring.

Second-team All-ACC freshman Josh Henderson did not play yesterday because coaches thought his services were not crucial. Sitting out gives him another week of rest. Midfielder Kevin Stein, who did not dress, is recovering from a sprained ankle. All of Duke's starters are expected to be ready for South Carolina next weekend.

With two offensive starters missing, the Blue Devils' offense found it difficult to establish its regular pattern. But their back-ups stepped in well against UNC-G. Forward Matt Shattuck collected two assists on the day in his first start of the season.

The constantly improving defense showed its strength as well. Second-team All-ACC Evan Whitfield impressed as usual with his speed and vision from the back. Duke's midfield also picked up its defensive game from the previous outing against Virginia.

Because the colorful Blue Devil offense sputtered, the game ended an uneventful one. In the end, it was a win all the same. Tallying three goals even when you are not playing as well as you can is a good sign, especially in the tournament. Having Jay Heaps helps too.

Share and discuss “Freshman Heaps holds his own in physical NCAAs” on social media.