Legends game brings back glory days

The Duke basketball clan held its family reunion Friday night in the familiar home of Cameron Indoor Stadium for the Legends of Duke Weekend.

Blue Devils from the 1995-96 Duke team and three high school recruits, who could be future Blue Devils, were among the crowd on hand to meet and watch some of the stars of the past whose shoes have tread upon the Cameron floor.

"I think it's wonderful for the first time to have all the great coaches and great players here to honor the university," said Steve Vacendak, Trinity '66, who played three years under head coach Vic Bubas, leading the Blue Devils to a 72-14 record over his career.

The main event for Friday night was the Legends basketball game. It was the only chance to see generations of Duke basketball on the same team, and it allowed both past and present Blue Devil fans to reminisce about their glory years.

The Blue and White rosters were a Who's Who of Duke basketball: Johnny Dawkins, Grant Hill, Bobby Hurley and Christian Laettner were just a few of the stars who returned. In the end, the Blue team captured a 110-89 victory over the White team. But the score was the last thing on the players mind. It was a thrill enough to play once more in Cameron.

"I'm glad that I was healthy enough to participate," said Gene Banks, Trinity '81, the oldest player who participated. "It was great to be a part of something so great, to play and be a part of the game."

When all of the players participating in the event were introduced, the loudest cheer came for Bobby Hurley. But Hurley was later upstaged during a time out, when current Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was introduced to the crowd. Coach K received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted for nearly two minutes. Finally, Krzyzewski grabbed the microphone, and the crowd silenced to hear what its leader had to say.

"The only guy who deserves a hand like that is Cal Ripken," Krzyzewski said.

While the game gave fans a final chance to see former Blue Devils play in Cameron, it was the halftime extravaganza that symbolized the spirit of the event.

First to be honored were the three coaches to lead Duke to the Final Four--Vic Bubas, Bill Foster and Krzyzewski. That was followed with an even more meaningful presentation. For the first time, all nine players who had their numbers retired joined together for a photo. Those honored spanned Duke basketball history, from Dick Groat, Trinity '52, who never participated in an NCAA tournament to Grant Hill, who led Duke to its back-to-back national championships.

For the fans, one of the evening's biggest moments occurred at the end of halftime, when the three biggest shots in Duke history were recreated. The players proved that recreating the shots was harder than the first time. First, Gene Banks missed the reenactment of his 15-foot jump shot that won a 1981 game over UNC. Then Laettner missed the shot he took in the 1990 East Regional final over Connecticut.

Laettner had another try to recreate history with the most famous shot in Duke history, his jumper over Kentucky in the 1992 East Regional final. Just like three years ago, Grant Hill threw another perfect pass to Laettner, whose shot swished through the net.

"I wasn't sure that I'd make it, but that was what I was trying to do," Laettner said.

Laettner's shot enabled the Blue Devils to reach the 1992 Final Four and capture its second national title. In an impromptu presentation, Laettner asked for all the players on the two title teams to come out to center court for a picture. He then invited all former Duke players onto the court, proof that Duke's two titles aren't owned by just the players on those teams, but by every player to ever wear the Blue Devil jersey.

"All of us feel a part of everything that goes on here," Vacendak said. "We even felt a part of the football team [last year]. I don't know if I can appropriately describe what it feels to be a part of the Duke family."

Share and discuss “Legends game brings back glory days” on social media.