Men's golf lacks power to defend title at ECU

From staff reports

The men's golf team finished in 12th place out of 19 teams at the ECU-Emerald Intercollegiate Golf Tournament in New Bern, N.C., this weekend.

The Blue Devils won this tournament last year, but after losing two of their top five players, the team could not find a way to repeat its title.

Duke finished the three-day event with a score of 916, only 15 strokes from second-place Virginia Tech. The Blue Devils finished the tournament in a tie with North Carolina-Greensboro, but Duke was awarded 12th place after losing the tiebreaking procedure.

Virginia Commonwealth dominated the entire tournament field, as it never trailed in the standings. VCU ran away with the title with its final-round score of 290. That performance allowed the Rams to break the team tournament scoring record, as they notched a 876.

The Blue Devils were paced by juniors Justin Klein and Joe Ogilvie, who both tied for ninth individually with 223, coming within five strokes of VCU's Mike Benner, who won the individual title in a sudden-death shootout with Miami's Maarten Van Den Berg.

Junior Daniel Brawley had the third-highest Duke score with 234, which put him in 54th place individually. Sophomore Jason Buha and freshman Chris Schmid rounded out the Blue Devils' scoring, both shooting 239.

Share and discuss “Men's golf lacks power to defend title at ECU” on social media.