Speakers debate media's biases

The media often unfairly defame gays, lesbians and bisexuals, a watchdog group said Tuesday.

In a presentation and discussion in an Old Chemistry building lecture hall, representatives from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation in New York City gave several examples of how the media distorts issues concerning gay men and women and suggested ways to improve the media's coverage.

GLAAD aims to ensure fair coverage and accurate portrayals of gays, lesbians and bisexuals in the media, said Lisa Graziano, one of the GLAAD representatives.

"We have a lot of work to do, and one of the main ways to get the message out is through media, by educating people," Graziano said.

While much of the misinformation is propagated by fundamentalist Christian organizations, the mainstream media have often ignored and misrepresented gays, lesbians and bisexuals, GLAAD representatives said.

For example, almost all the major newspapers and newsmagazines ignored AIDS until actor Rock Hudson died in 1985, and they multiplied their error by identifying it as the "gay plague," Graziano said. Most major media outlets also ignored a 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, the largest civil rights march in 18 years.

"The media manipulates, make no mistake about it," said GLAAD representative David Thiergartner.

Though the media now offer more extensive coverage of issues facing gays and lesbians, the two GLAAD representatives and the 16 people in attendance said journalists could do much better.

The most biased presentations are given by right-wing groups, which try to distort messages of gays and lesbians by making their ideas seem more radical, speakers said.

The GLAAD representatives presented a film developed by a Christian fundamentalist group which focused on some of the radical participants of the 1993 march in Washington.

"The distortions are really violent," said Trinity senior Todd Presner, co-chair of the Duke Gay and Lesbian Association, one of the sponsors of the event. "It is so powerful, the way that they do this."

Though not as intentionally misleading, the mainstream media pick up on some of the distortions promulgated by right-wing groups, speakers said.

Journalists often ask why gays and lesbians are fighting for "special rights," Graziano said, giving the mistaken assumption that they are seeking privileges not granted to any other group.

Gays and lesbians merely want the same opportunities as everyone else, Thiergartner said. "It's not about special rights, it's about equal rights."

The media often unfairly characterize gay people with AIDS, Graziano said. Children and hemophiliacs inflicted with the virus are often called "innocent victims," implying that gays and lesbians deserve the disease.

Journalists also often ask about the "gay agenda," mistakenly assuming that all gays and lesbians think alike, Thiergartner said.

Gays, lesbians and bisexuals have to prod journalists by meeting with them and informing them when they ask misleading questions, discussion participants said.

GLAAD also publishes a handbook which offers the media guidelines for producing more balanced coverage of gay and lesbian issues.

The event, part of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Awareness Weeks, was also cosponsored by the Interaction Committee of the University Union. Awareness events will be held through April 5.

Share and discuss “Speakers debate media's biases” on social media.