`Dynamic' Program II offers many intellectual benefits

As the Duke community discusses the quality of its intellectual vigor this semester, the debate rightly focuses on the two parties most responsible for the current situation, the students and the faculty. We must remember, though, that the administration cannot wholly absent itself from responsibility for the level of dissatisfaction being expressed on campus.

Certainly, if we determine that a change must come, it could never thrive without the backing of faculty and students no matter what the administration supported. I do question, however, whether the administration would provide the whole-hearted support necessary for positive change. My skepticism comes from the fact that the administration presently has the means to effect a positive change in the intellectual atmosphere yet chooses neither to effect the change nor explain why such a move would be contrary to the University's interests. I am speaking of expanding Program II.

In brief, Program II is an alternative means of declaring a major. It allows students to design their own majors or model a major after those designed by previous students in Program II. There are justifiably stringent qualifications that a proposed Program II major must meet before it is accepted.

From my perspective, it appears the administration offers Program II only as a safety valve for those students absolutely unable to find satisfaction in any traditional department. Aside from passages in the Undergraduate Bulletin and four information sessions, little attempt is made to offer Program II as a reasonable alternative for students.

Indicative of the administration's casual concern is the complete lack of permanent faculty advisors for the majors. The level of administrative interest additionally shows in the fact that there are only 18 current Program II majors and the reality that many students are unaware that the program even exists. Without a stonger advising system, students whose proposals are rejected may withdraw their applications to Program II, never realizing that most Program IIs are rejected on the first try. Moreover, although Program II administrators send out rejection letters explaining why the proposals were rejected, some students feel those letters are unnecessarily vague.

Why is it important that the administration make Program II a real alternative? Answer: it is one of the few areas where the administration can unilaterally change an aspect of Duke University without harming current students while at the same time effecting a positive change in the intellectual climate.

Consider what it means to be a Program II major. They have a vested interest in the courses they take to fulfill major requirements since they choose those requirements themselves. They are more likely to be enthusiastic about the direction they have chosen since their path has been hewed by them alone. Since students and faculty both decry the rampant professionalism on campus, a move towards a greater sense of self determination in students' studies could be nothing other than beneficial.

Moreover, Program II also offers an opportunity for students to know professors personally. In devising the major, students must work closely with at least one faculty member. This close cooperation is seldom found in other areas of school life. These benefits are but two of many that do not receive full expression under the status quo.

I recognize that some professors and administrators have legitimate concerns with inter-disciplinary majors, but Program II already exists. We have made the institutional choice that Program II is an acceptable part of Duke's educational philosophy. I find it hypocritical to offer an option like Program II yet give it only minimal support. Now, more than ever, it is appropriate for the administration to demonstrate that it accepts the responsibility for its role in Duke's intellectual life. An investment in Program II advisors and publicity is not only needed but overdue.

We may discover that even with greater advising and publicity, Program II does not find a constituency among undergraduates. If such occurs, then tant pis. At least the administration will have made a legitimate effort.

I realize that Program II is neither a panacea nor even likely to affect directly a majority of undergraduates. It is, however, an area where the administration can make both a literal and symbolic impact-symbolically demonstrating commitment to a dynamic program, literally injecting an increased passion for learning into our community. While the administration is considering a variety of proposals for improving campus life, I suggest the expansion of Program II as an easily implemented and inexpensive option.

Alex Rogers is a Trinity sophmore.

Share and discuss “`Dynamic' Program II offers many intellectual benefits” on social media.