Field hockey gets offensive

The field hockey team opened the season with a display of offensive firepower, setting back the Richmond Spiders 6-3 at the University of Richmond Stadium Saturday night. Senior co-captain Laura Gentile knocked in a pair of goals in each half of play en route to a game-high four scores.

Duke preserved its No. 9 ranking while disposing of the Spiders in one of its most challenging season-openers in recent history. Despite some pregame jitters, the Blue Devils struck hard and fast in what looked to be an easy blow-out, as they scored three first-half goals while shutting out Richmond.

"Naturally, when you're up 3-0, you just figure they aren't going to come back," Gentile said. "But they were a feisty team."

As the second half began, the Spiders lashed back, scoring two goals in less than four minutes to cut the Duke lead to just one goal. Blue Devil goalie Heather Moles had just replaced starter Kim Makalusky to begin the half but fell victim to a series of miss-communications by the defense.

"We were really thinking offense," head coach Jacki Silar said. "When we were not in possession we needed to get back on defense."

Less than two minutes later, sophomore Tamara Gehris raced down the left side of the field and crossed to senior Lisa Ehrhart who set up Gentile's third score to give Duke a two-goal edge. But Richmond never quit as the Spiders fought back to within one and threatened to overcome Duke's 4-3 lead.

The Spiders continued to battle, but were unable to break down the Duke defenders. After Richmond's two quick goals started the half, Silar solidified the defense by using junior Mary Dye to shadow Spider star forward Dawn Reyerson.

And the strategy paid off as Dye shut down Reyerson, and the Blue Devils wrapped things up late in the second half with another pair of goals by Ehrhart and Gentile.

Entering the season the Blue Devils knew they could expect offensive production from their experienced penalty corner unit of Ehrhart, Dye and Gentile. Dye maintained her composure throughout the game, even assisting a goal after a broken-up penalty corner in which a Richmond rusher fell on top of her.

But a big question mark for Duke was its ability to score from the field. The Blue Devils let out a sigh of relief Saturday as half of the team's goals came from sharp passing and fast-break opportunities, not penalty corner blasts.

"Offensively we really clicked," Gentile said. "We are more confident that we will score."

Now Duke needs only to work on adjusting to its defensive game plan. With newcomer Jodie Taylor at the center-midfield position and Dye new to the center-back spot, the Blue Devils have to get accustomed to dropping back when defensive players advance upfield.

"I'm kind of confused," Dye said. "But it's just a matter of learning the position."

Although the Blue Devils have opened the season with big numbers before, they have never enjoyed this type of success against a team of Richmond's caliber so early in the fall. Duke only managed to knock in one goal against the Spiders last season, and although Richmond is unranked this year, the team lost only two starters from last year's top-20 squad.

"It was a good first game for us," Silar said. "We needed to be challenged both offensively and defensively, everyone on our team contributed, and now we know where we stand.

"[Our problem areas] are very minor, and we'll make those adjustments with just a few drills."

Share and discuss “Field hockey gets offensive” on social media.