Texas Tech Red Raiders men's basketball 2018-19 season preview

Texas Tech

2017-18 record: 27-10, 11-7 in the Big 12

Head coach: Chris Beard

Tenure at Texas Tech: 3rd Season

Career coaching record: 141-54

Home court: United Supermarkets Arena

Starters: G Davide Moretti, G Matt Mooney, G Jarrett Culver, F Deshawn Corprew, F Tariq Owens

Bench: F Khavon Moore, G Brandone Francis, C Norense Odiase, G Kyler Edwards 

Overview: Last year, Texas Tech experienced some surprise success led by the duo of Keenan Evans and Zhaire Smith. However, the Elite Eight season finished with the star freshman Smith getting drafted in the first round and Evans graduating, leaving the Red Raiders looking to replace a lot of talent.

Texas Tech boasts a strong combination of experience and young talent, bringing in two grad transfers and an underrated freshman class. South Dakota’s Matt Mooney and St. John’s Tariq Owens will bring a veteran presence, while all eyes will turn to wing Jarrett Culver.

Culver will look to expand on the offensive end after averaging 11.2 points per game and will hope to continue his defensive dominance. The 6-foot-5 wing can guard positions one through four and will be complemented by Owens, who averaged 2.8 blocks per game last year, ranked eighth nationally. Offensively, the Red Raiders will look for Mooney to make an immediate impact after averaging 18.7 points per game last year for the Coyotes.

The biggest question around Texas Tech will be finding a go-to guy in tight situations. The team should be strong defensively and Beard is one of the top up-and-coming coaches in the country, leading the Red Raiders in what should be a weaker Big 12 this year. 

One thing that needs to go right: Culver and Mooney produce on the offensive end to back up an otherwise strong defensive squad, keeping Texas Tech as a potent tournament team.

One thing that could go wrong: The team is unable to replace the production of Evans and Smith, leaving it on the bubble come tournament time. 

Share and discuss “Texas Tech Red Raiders men's basketball 2018-19 season preview” on social media.