Ligma Mu to turn back the clock, hold anti-suffrage party

Editor's Note - All articles featured in The Chomicle are creative, satirical and/or entirely fictional pieces. They are fully intended as such and should not be taken seriously as news.

On Thursday morning, approximately 400 female-identifying first-years and sophomores received an email invitation from the Durham IFC organization Ligma Mu (LMU) announcing its next social event. On April 1, the fraternity will host “DERATIFIED,” a pre-Nineteenth Amendment themed party. The event is scheduled to celebrate the end of March, which is nationally observed as Women’s History Month.

Hyacinth Higginbottoms, a first-year who received an invite, shared the message with The Chronicle. The email included the following statement:

“The Brothers of Ligma Mu cordially invite a select group of especially domesticated young women back to the homefront this Saturday night to celebrate the end of everyone’s least favorite month. Finally, you can tone down the feminism to kick back and relax, wearing your best 1910s-inspired outfit. A dashing young man will welcome you all to the LMU home through the kitchen door — right where you belong!”

In response to the news of LMU’s party this weekend, the Duke Women’s Center has organized a protest on Abele Quad at 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon. LMU President Kyle Chadsworth released a statement per his public Instagram story addressing the upcoming protest.

“Unfortunately, no woman affiliated with the Women’s Center was lucky enough to get a wristband for DERATIFIED,” wrote Chadsworth. “So they can enjoy rioting while we kick back like it's the turn of the twentieth century.”

Editor's Note: Happy April Fools' Day! In case you couldn't tell, this was a story for our satirical edition, The Chomicle. Check out more Chomicle stories here, guaranteed to make you laugh or your money back.

Share and discuss “Ligma Mu to turn back the clock, hold anti-suffrage party” on social media.