2019 Georgia Tech football season preview

2018 season: 7-6, 5-3 in the ACC

Head coach: Geoff Collins (1st season)

Say goodbye to the triple-option in Atlanta. With Paul Johnson out as head coach and Geoff Collins in as his replacement, it’s going to be an entirely new offense for Georgia Tech this season. The only problem? Every member of that offense was recruited for and meant to play in Johnson’s triple-threat attack.

Quarterbacks Tobias Oliver, Lucas Johnson and James Graham—who are all still in play to start—were all recruited to play the triple-threat, and the Yellow Jackets’ entire offensive line must now adapt to a new style of blocking. The transition isn’t impossible, but expecting it to be a bit messy is far from pessimistic.

Georgia Tech’s defense, however, could be solid this season. Collins is known for producing defensive units that cause mayhem on the opposition, as defensive coordinator for Mississippi State and Florida. He'll bring a style that can help the Yellow Jackets improve upon their No. 46 national ranking in total yards allowed last year. Georgia Tech has a lot of returning talent on that side of the ball as well, especially in the secondary.

When it comes down to it, though, the transformation to a completely different offense will likely cause 2019 to be a building year for Georgia Tech football. The team’s week one matchup against Clemson won’t make things any easier. Collins has the capacity to turn the Yellow Jackets into a perennial ACC contender down the road, once he’s able to complete the roster makeover he has in mind. It’s just not going to happen this season.

Share and discuss “2019 Georgia Tech football season preview” on social media.