Update 7:50 p.m.: Duke has issued an official release confirming that quarterback Thomas Sirk ruptured his achilles tendon Wednesday during a team practice.

The procedure was performed by Dr. Claude T. Moorman III, Duke’s head team physician and the director of Duke Sports Medicine. No timetable has been set for Sirk’s return, according to the release, but these injuries often takes up to a year for recovery.

Anthony Boone is No. 1 on Duke's quarterback depth chart but redshirt freshman Sirk was expected to challenge for some snaps.

David Morris—who runs a football camp QB Country and remains close with Sirk—said he learned the news from Sirk's father and spoke with his former pupil Wednesday morning.

Morris said he learned the news from Sirk's father and then spoke to Sirk this morning.

"He was surprisingly optimistic," Morris said. “He’s already talking about working hard to get back into the swing of things. It’s going to be a little while, but he has a great attitude."

Morris was a quarterback at Ole Miss when Duke head coach David Cutliffe was the head coach there, and the pair has stayed in close contact. Sirk was at QB Country as a junior in high school and helped put together the film package that eventually got him recruited to Duke.

"If anybody is going to come back from somebody challenging, it’s him," Morris said. "He’s a one of a kind competitor and person.”

Earlier in the week, we broke down Duke's quarterback depth

Here are some tweets about Sirk's injury:

Fellow quarterback Brandon Connette had said on his Twitter account @BCon_18, "Please pray for my little brother @tsirk_1 as he goes into surgery today," though that tweet is no longer there.

Also on Twitter from Karli Johonot, a Duke sophomore track and field athlete:

Duke tight end Issac Blakeney:

Duke punter Will Monday: