Louisville basketball got a taste of what life might be like in the ACC last weekend, losing to Duke 76-71 in the Battle 4 Atlantis championship in the Bahamas. Now the Cardinals can look forward to annual rematches.

The ACC Council of Presidents unanimously voted to accept Louisville Wednesday morning after it was officially announced last week that Maryland would depart the conference for the Big Ten. Louisville is currently a member of the Big East.

“With its aggressive approach to excellence in every respect, the University of Louisville will enhance our league’s culture and commitment to the cornerstones we were founded on 60 years ago,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a press release. “The University of Louisville is an outstanding addition to the Atlantic Coast Conference and I commend the Council of Presidents for continuing to position our league for the long-term future. If you look at what has been done over the last 15 months, the ACC has only gotten stronger with the additions of Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse.”

The Cardinals join a changing conference that added both Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East last year. Additionally, Notre Dame chose to join the ACC earlier this year as a partial member after competing as a partial member in the Big East, previously.

ACC Sports' David Glenn first reported last night that a vote would be held on Louisville.