Eighteen years later and Duke football is bowl bound again.
With the dramatic 33-30 victory against North Carolina Saturday, the Blue Devils earned their first bowl berth since 1994 and beat the Tar Heels for the first time since 2003, bringing the Victory Bell back to Durham.
Make sure to check out that story—"VICTORY BOWL"—and the rest of this week's Sportswrap, The Chronicle's Monday sports supplement:
- It felt like it was the same old story for Duke football... an early lead blown in the final minutes. But the Blue Devils went from zeros to heroes in 3:06, Daniel Carp writes.
- Brady Buck breaks down Duke basketball's Countdown to Craziness—top recruits in town, an improved perimeter, established leadership and a first look at Rodney Hood.
- The emerging theme from this year's Countdown to Craziness? Duke basketball is coming together.
- After a scoreless output against North Carolina, Duke women's soccer took out its offensive frustrations with a 4-0 win against Francis Marion.
- The Duke volleyball team went to Virginia for two games, beating the Cavaliers but losing to the Hokies.
- The Duke field hockey team edged California in overtime 2-1.
- Duke men's soccer has lost seven times this season, all by one goal. One of those came Saturday to Boston College.