Five. And. One.
With Duke football's 42-17 victory against Virginia Saturday, the Blue Devils moved to 5-1 on the season and now are within one game of the program's first bowl berth since 1994. In the victory against the Wahoos, Duke wide receiver Conner Vernon broke the all-time ACC career receptions record.
Those two stories and these others can be found in this week's edition of Sportswrap, The Chronicle's Monday sports supplement:
- Now at 5-1, the Duke football team received votes in both the AP poll and the USA Today Coaches' Poll. Duke received three votes in the AP Poll—all from one person, and we spoke to him.
- How did the Blue Devils demolish Virginia? Not only the strong offensive play, but also top-notch defense in the second half.
- An offensive barrage led Duke women's soccer past Boston College in a 4-2 victory at Koskinen Stadium Sunday afternoon.
- The men's soccer team earned its second ACC victory, beating N.C. State on its home turf 1-0.
- The Blue Devil field hockey squad limited Maryland and its potent offense to two goals, but Duke could not score against the reigning national champions.
- After playing its first four ACC games on the road, the Duke volleyball team returned home and split its weekend contests against Maryland and Boston College.
- The Duke swimming team began the season at the venue where the ACC championships will be held this season, with the men taking second place and the women finishing third.
- The women's golf squad played at the University of Georgia Golf Course, with the team finishing sixth overall as Lindy Duncan, the nation's No. 1 player, finished fifth.