Three comments regarding the latest AP College Football Rankings

No Movement at the Top

The top seven slots all appear almost exactly as they did last week. Alabama garnered three more of USC’s first place votes, bringing them to a total of 48 after dismantling an over-matched Western Kentucky squad. USC had a relatively shaky week, having been in a tight game through three quarters against a traditionally weak Syracuse team. LSU, Oregon, and Oklahoma stayed put in that order, with Florida State moving from sixth to a tie for fifth, despite weather preventing the team from covering the record setting 70.5 point spread against lowly Savannah State. The Seminoles still won 55-0. Georgia remained seventh in the poll.

An Incredible Fall for Arkansas

Coming into the week ranked eighth in the nation, Arkansas fans probably thought they had an easy early season victory when they saw Louisiana Monroe at home on the schedule. UL Monroe’s quarterback Kolton Browning had other ideas, putting up 481 yards of total offense. In thrilling come from behind fashion, UL-Monroe topped Arkansas 34-31 in overtime. A loss this poor for Arkansas puts them in must win scenarios the rest of the season if they want any hope at contending for the national title. It also caused the voters to remove them from the rankings, making that the second largest fall ever after then No. 5 Michigan’s memorable loss to Appalachian State in 2007. With Alabama coming into Fayetteville this week, Arkansas could jump right back into the upper ranks of the poll if they can knock off the defending national champion.

Other movements

Other teams to fall out of the top 25 were No. 13 Wisconsin, No. 16 Nebraska, and No. 18 Oklahoma State after road losses to Oregon State, UCLA, and Arizona, respectively. All had been mainstays in the poll, having been ranked for at least the previous 29 weeks. Kansas State had the largest jump, moving up six spots to No. 15 after its dismantling of Miami. UCLA, Tennessee, Arizona, and BYU occupy the last four spots in this week's poll. Stanford rose from No. 25 back to No. 21 with its defeat of Duke at home.