180225_WBBvsUNC_MaryHelenWood0367

Rebecca Greenwell dropped 31 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in her final home game Sunday.

Devils in the Details: Greenwell and Brown dominate in their final home game

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers. 

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key numbers from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside a men's basketball road loss to Virginia Tech and a women's basketball victory against North Carolina: 

53

In their final regular season home game, Duke's "Splash Sisters" Rebecca Greenwell and Lexie Brown combined for a whopping 53 points to help the Blue Devils down archrival North Carolina. The duo scored just one point less than the entire Tar Heels team, canning eight 3-pointers to help avenge a January upset loss. Duke will look to continue its momentum Friday in its ACC tournament opener. 

Find out the whole story—Duke women's basketball seniors indispensable in final regular-season home game

18

Up nearly 15 points midway through the first half, Duke looked to be on its way to a resounding victory against Virginia Tech. But plagued by 18 turnovers, the Blue Devils' offense faded late, scoring just 34 points over the final 29 minutes to let the Hokies squeak past them for an upset victory. Duke has scored 66 points or fewer in three of its last four games. 

Find out the whole story—Duke men's basketball's talented freshmen disappear in closing minutes in Blacksburg AND Duke men's basketball doomed by Chris Clarke's late putback in upset loss to Hokies

0

Duke had won a grand total of zero ACC championships in fencing—until Saturday. The No. 9 Blue Devil men downed No. 2 Notre Dame 19-8 in an upset after blowing through North Carolina and Boston College by a combined 43-11 margin in the opening two rounds. 

Find out the whole story—Duke men's fencing wins first ACC championship in program history

13

After struggling for most of the season, Duke's men's basketball's defense has shot up statistician Ken Pomeroy's efficiency rankings, all the way up to No. 13. The Blue Devils' defense had seemed beyond repair even just a few weeks ago—they gave up more than 80 points to both St. John's and North Carolina before going on a five-game winning streak behind lights-out defense. 

Find out the whole story—Duke men's basketball hopes to continue defensive renaissance in road test vs. Hokies

6

Among all major conference teams, just six rank better than Duke women's basketball in scoring defense this season. The Blue Devils closed the season yielding an average of 56.6 points per game, just a tick worse than the 55.4 points per game they allowed last year, which put them third amongst major conference teams. Duke now looks to continue its defense momentum into the ACC tournament and beyond.