25758_suggs_filef
Faith Suggs will look to carve out a role for herself.

Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Faith Suggs

Faith Suggs

• Year: Junior
  • Height: 6-foot-1
  • Position: Guard/forward
  • Last year's statline: 1.1 PPG, 0.8 RPG, 9.5 percent 3-point shooting

Game breakdown: Although a five-star recruit coming out of high school for her versatility, athleticism and outside shooting skills, Suggs has struggled to make an impact at the college level in her two seasons in Durham. With several talented guards playing in front of her, Suggs has not had many chances to shine—but has struggled while on the floor—especially last year. 

The junior can play three positions—the two, three and four—but finished just 2-of-21 from beyond the arc. However, she was much more effective in her freshman year, finishing 8-of-25 from 3-point range. 

Role on the team: With so many talented frontcourt players ahead of her, it's hard to see Suggs playing much more than she did last year—when she earned the fewest minutes on the team. The additions of a healthy Haley Gorecki and freshmen Jayda Adams and Mikayla Boykin ahead of Suggs to a frontcourt that already boasted Lexie Brown, Rebecca Greenwell, and Kyra Lambert, if healthy, will prevent Suggs from seeing much time. She might earn some minutes against inferior nonconference opponents, but she likely won't see much of the court once conference play comes around. 

Stay tuned with the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with junior Kyra Lambert tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Jade Williams, Jayda Adams, Madison Treece, Mikayla Boykin, Emily Schubert, Leaonna Odom, Sofia Roma and Haley Gorecki