170909_FBvsNorthwestern_JimLiu1675

Daniel Jones did something Saturday against Northwestern that only one other quarterback in program ...

The Devil's in the details: Week of Sept. 5

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers. 

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key numbers from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside a historic day from Daniel Jones and a milestone victory for volleyball head coach Jolene Nagel. 

Duke quarterback Daniel Jones became just the second player in program history to pass for more than 300 yards and rush for more than 100 yards in the same game on Saturday. Jones totaled 413 yards—305 in the air and 108 on the ground—to help the Blue Devils rout Northwestern 41-17. The other player to accomplish that feat for Duke was Brandon Connette, who threw for 323 yards and rushed for 101 against Pittsburgh in 2013. 

Find out the whole story—GAME OF JONES: Duke football dismantles Northwestern in statement win

Duke women’s soccer got revenge Friday against No. 3 West Virginia, which bounced them from the NCAA tournament last season, after scoring a season-high four goals in a shutout victory. The sixth-ranked Blue Devils were unable to find their rhythm in two matches against the Mountaineers last season, getting outscored 4-1 over that span and ending their hopes of a title run with a 1-0 defeat in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament.  

Find out the whole story—Duke women's soccer routs No. 3 West Virginia on the road to avenge 2016 losses

5 

Duke field hockey has allowed just five goals through its first five contests—four of which came in Friday’s loss to Virginia. Redshirt sophomore Sammi Steele has been outstanding behind the net for the top-ranked Blue Devils, who rebounded from their first loss of the season with a 3-1 victory against James Madison Sunday.

Find out the whole story—Duke field hockey rebounds from first loss with strong second half to beat James Madison

99 

Duke held Northwestern running back Justin Jackson in check on the ground in Saturday’s victory. Jackson finished with just 18 yards in the contest, 99 yards below his average of 117 yards per game from a season ago when he finished 13th in the nation in rushing yards. The Blue Devils have been outstanding defensively through their first two contests, holding opposing backs to a minuscule 1.7 rushing yards per attempt and a total of 43 yards on the ground per game.   

Find out the whole story—Duke football defense turns tables on Northwestern in stifling performance

600 

Duke volleyball head coach Jolene Nagel became just the 22nd active NCAA Division I head coach to reach 600 career victories when Duke beat TCU in straight sets Friday. Nagel joins North Carolina head coach Joe Sagula and Florida State head coach Chris Poole as the only active ACC coaches to reach the 600-win plateau. Nagel enters this week with 602 victories after the Blue Devils swept a doubleheader Saturday against Utah Valley and Lehigh in Fort Worth, Texas. 

Find out the whole story—Jolene Nagel picks up 600th career win during perfect weekend for Duke volleyball in Texas